Author Topic: Alloy  (Read 573 times)

Offline beethoven

• Trade Count: (1)
Alloy
« on: August 04, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
I have a couple of hundred pounds of mixed alloy lead, ( some #2, some ww, ...) I am only casting lead for muzzle loaders currently and would like to remove as many other metals as possible from the lead alloy as possible. Haven't been able to flux the other metals out with paraffin or sizing lube. Any suggestions?  Oh , by the way, I started casting about 1980 so I'm not new to this.

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
Re: Alloy
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 04:19:39 PM »
Beethoven the best way to do what you want is to trade it off to someone I would trade with you if I get that sail boat keel it will weigh about 3000 lbs and will be soft lead D Crockett

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 12:47:20 AM »
you cant do it. At least at home. It takes a lab with a cenrtifuge to seperate an alloy. You can slowly remove some of it but it will be so small of an ammount that it isnt going to effect your alloy. Like was allready posted your best bet is to trade it to someone who needs it for some pure.
I have a couple of hundred pounds of mixed alloy lead, ( some #2, some ww, ...) I am only casting lead for muzzle loaders currently and would like to remove as many other metals as possible from the lead alloy as possible. Haven't been able to flux the other metals out with paraffin or sizing lube. Any suggestions?  Oh , by the way, I started casting about 1980 so I'm not new to this.
blue lives matter

Offline beethoven

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 03:53:21 PM »
Well it's pretty much as I figured. Hoped someone knew something I didn't. Thanks for the replies.
Anybody wanna trade?