Author Topic: favorites  (Read 1020 times)

Offline mattmillerrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
favorites
« on: June 13, 2008, 03:25:36 PM »
1. What is your favorite Oklahoma game?
2. What is your favorite type of hunting? (bow,handgun,stalking,ect.)
3. What is you favorite set up?
4. Do you live in state and hunt here or do you live out of state and hunt here?

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
Re: favorites
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 03:41:24 PM »
1. I have always loved quail hunting.
2. I like bow hunting for the challenge.
3. I recently lost my favorite set up, it was the corner of a pasture, tree row, and wheat Field.  It always produced good results in deer season.  I usually just set on the ground about 5 yrds inside of the tree row facing the wheat Field.  Was a good bow hunting set up.
4. I do live in state and hunt mostly on my Dads land in far Western Oklahoma, between Sandy Sanders wildlife refuge and the North Fork of the Red River.  I hunt everything I get a chance too.  Now days that is mostly deer and quail but I get some dove and turkey in here and there.  And am hoping to do a squirrel hunt this year for the first time.  If I get the chance I will try to get some coyote hunting in as well.

Offline Lost Oki

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 04:24:34 PM »
Currently living in North Carolina.  I Have not had the opportunity to hunt in Oklahoma in a number of years.  I make it back every year but in the summer not during deer or quail season.   Grew up in Midwest City and did a lot of quail and rabbit hunting where Draper Lake is now.  Did some deer hunting around Clayton back in the 70's.  Have relatives in Apache, Edmond, Choctaw, Moore and OKC.  Last time I was in the state I tried out a rifle range out west of OKC.  July is not the best time to try out ,reloads...barrel gets too hot too fast. 
Any places to hunt prairie dogs other than the NW and Panhandle?

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 09:23:17 PM »
My wife grew up in Mid West City ( Mills family if you happen to know them).  I currently live in the central part of the state and work out of OKC but am not familiar with a range west of OKC.  I am currently a member of Tri City gun club which is mostly south of OKC.  I grew up in Beckham county which is western Oklahoma and we have them.  I have also heard of some guys hunting in Caddo county for them which is the Weatherford area but not sure of there abundance else where and have not tried to locate them locally.

Offline gray fox

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 04:24:30 PM »
1. coyote, deer and crow
2. gun and may be some day handgun
3. a home made blind or at the base of tree
4. i live in Oklahoma and hunt in Oklahoma 

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 05:58:40 PM »
I am with you on the handgun hunting.  I think it will be simular to bow hunting for me.  I was looking at some .44mag blackhawks today with nice sights and 7 1/2 in barrel. 

Offline SingleShotShorty

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 03:48:04 PM »
Whitetail deer
hangun/rifle/bow/Ml/ Sling shot if it were legal
Ground blind either mfg or make shift
I live in NE Oklahoma and hunt here and in kansas

Old Age and Treachery Will Alway's Overcome
Youth and Skill.

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 04:04:23 PM »
Deer hunting is my favorit,y ,i used to phesant hunt when i was younger but there is to much walking envalved for me now, i just like to walk to my deer blind and set there.my set up is a homemade little wooden hut on a trailer so i can move it,it sets in a draw or a small pasture that is sorounded to the west by wheat and the south buy alfalfa and it has a creek bottum that runs through it with woods i see deer there about every day i hunt, i like to rifle hunt because i get to buy more rifles  lol i tried bow hunting but it wasnt for me didnt have and palce to put up a tree stand for bow hunting and seting on the ground with a bow and geting deer in bow range was tuff for me so i just stick to my trusty  25-06
1 shot 1 kill