Author Topic: I shot the .270 today!!!!!  (Read 1096 times)

Offline THE#1hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
I shot the .270 today!!!!!
« on: July 20, 2003, 01:53:47 PM »
I finally got out to shoot the gun today :grin: !!! I was shooting 130gr Federals, and it shoots awsome :grin: ...I got a little carried away(i shot like a box :roll: ) my arm feels fine but it is a little bruised, lol ...I diddnt shoot enough to require a flinch though, so everything's good.......thanks again for the help :D
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline 01magnatec

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2003, 04:39:49 PM »
whatever you felt and heard while shooting at the target will be totally different when you're shooting an animal.
When i'm focused in on an animal and i squeeze the trigger, i don't hear or feel a thing. if i were you, i'd get a good scope and site it right in for 100 yards and leave it there.
Being your in pa, there's no use for greater length.
Besides, they are flat shooting guns.

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 06:05:46 AM »
Thanks again :D

--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline savageT

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 07:33:05 AM »
#1 hunter,
Nice goin' bud!  What did you end up with....that Mod70 Winchester?  If you do go for a scope, give the Bushnell series a hard look and try to keep the magnification down low enough so you can use it in close.  I put a 1.75-5X Bushnell Trophy on my Savage 99Tin .300 Sav. for the New York woods.  I would not recommend you go with the 3-9X for your region unless you will be using it in power line right of ways, etc.

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 10:13:06 AM »
Yep, I went with the Winchester model 70 featherweight...it came with a BSA catseye 3-10x44 on it

Offline Brushhunter

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2003, 01:43:00 PM »
Want to know a great trick for a brush cpountry deer rifle?  Get a variable shotgun scope for it.  i had a Simmons 1.5-5x32 on my Marlin and it was great--fast target acquisition and plenty of magnification out to 100 yards.  Just a thought--it works for me!

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2003, 07:26:54 AM »
Thanks for the help :D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2003, 11:23:10 AM »
Lose that BSA as soon as you can afford to.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Brushhunter

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2003, 12:16:35 PM »
Hey Greybeard, get off his case, it's legal to use a BSA in his state, so don't judge him . . . . (just kidding, honest!)  :lol:

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2003, 01:25:41 PM »
What would you recommend?

Offline Brushhunter

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2003, 01:41:45 PM »
Well, I was really just kidding there #1.  I don't really like scopes and have rarely felt the need for one in Maine.  However, A number of men whose opinion I respect, my guide's included, say that Simmons makes a good scope for the money.  Again, it's hearsay, but hearsay from people I know have experience and knowledge.  Others in the forum will no doubt have first-hand impressions to share with you.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2003, 06:19:46 PM »
Unlike the folks whom Brush Hunter has gotten advice from I place Simmons in the same category with BSA. In other words I'd not take one if free.

What I'd recommend depends on your budget. I generally recommend either a Bushnell or Leupold over all the others. Don't reckon I have anything else on any of my guns at this time. I am comfortable with the Bushnell line down to the Trophy model. I'm evaluating the entire product line at this time so I'll have a better feel for what the lower priced models will do but am not yet finished.

So tell me what price range you think you can afford and I'll make a recommendation based on that. Please don't say under $100.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2003, 09:17:20 AM »
Im open 200-250$, any suggestions?

Offline Brushhunter

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2003, 11:58:53 AM »
Hey #1--

Cabela's is having a major Leupold sale, check it out:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jhtml?id=0012459&navAction=jump&navCount=1&indexId=cat20760&parentId=&parentType=&cmCat=Featured&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Ffeaturecontent%2Ffeatured-pod-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=0012459

I personally find scopes claustrophobic, but you already know what an ass I can be from our earlier conversations.  These are variable from 2-7X; can a Leupold for $179 be all bad? You get free shipping too, and the low cost one is the lower power that Greybeard and the others are telling you you need.  If I had to have a scope, I'd want a nice low-power wide angle one.  Had one for awhile but finally went back to my trusty 'ol Lyman #66 peep sight. I realize, of course, that a .270 bolt action is pretty much a no brainer as far as wanting to put a scope on it goes. Hope this helps.

Brushy

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2003, 04:22:52 PM »
#1, ck out the sponsors on this website.  They will give you honest/excellent advice and have very good prices also.  You should be the the $ range of a Nikon Monarch, a Bushnell 3200 Elite etc... but for your 270 I would opt for a 3x9x40 scope in whatever brand you choose.  Enjoy the  shopping . . . it is almost better than the getting. :D

long
Life is short......eternity is long.