Author Topic: AR question  (Read 996 times)

Offline Illhunter

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
AR question
« on: September 29, 2008, 04:13:23 PM »
Let's first start with I know little to nothing about the AR rifles. My question i guess is when it comes to the upper and lower receivers. how do you switch from one caliber to the other i guess what i mean is if i have a an AR of some variant in 223/5.56 what do you have to do if you want to change to say the 6.5 grendel. and how does the 6.5 grendel shoot if anyone has experience with it. I keep thinking i might buy an AR someday but not sure which one i will get at this time so if this sounds confusing i understand the reason for asking is i was looking at centerfire systems inc catalouge and they have 6.5 grendel uppers that are supposed to be able to use all standard AR parts.   

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Re: AR question
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 05:05:25 AM »
AR's are basically a semi-auto T/C Encore.  On the Encore, you swap barrels to change calibers.  On the AR, you change the upper receiver.

AR's have two main sections, the upper and lower receiver.  The upper receiver is made up of the bolt carrier group, chamber, barrel, forearm...  The lower houses the trigger group and stock. 

Example;
If you already owned .223/5.56 AR, and you wanted one in a 6.5, you would need to purchase an upper receiver chambered in 6.5.  You would then put the lower from your .223 onto the 6.5, and presto, complete rifle.  Although, if it were me, I would purchase another lower so that I would have a complete rifle.  Just my ¢.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 05:12:54 AM »
There it is. and I would agree, I like having a dedicated lower also.

To add a little: The two sections are pinned together and you just have to remove/reinstall the pins to change out the uppers.

I have no experience with the grendel but my bushmaster in .223 is a joy to shoot and very accurate.

Good luck and you might want to get it while you still can.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 06:25:07 AM »
Don't forget to get a suitable mag for the swap as well, OK several, fine, make that a good dozen or so. I'm only sorta kidding. If industry doesn't like your new baby, you'd hate to be hand forging them five years from now or searching  the inter webs with hundred dollar bills looking for some that aren't worse than what you already own.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 06:29:31 AM »
I was thinking about using the barrel changing encores to describe the uppers on an AR but jasonprox700, beat me to the point. 

If you're on a budget you are better off to buy an AR in whatever non 223 caliber you want.  Then you can find plenty of great deals on 223 uppers online.  It's all up to you on how you do it.

Offline Illhunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 06:44:32 AM »
will the upper and lower from different makers interchange. Theuppers i saw in the 6.5 grendel were just the uppers no lower to buy and they had mags for sale as well.thanks for the help all I am debating if i need an AR. I went  to a gun show in MO  and they had 2 big trash cans full of mil spec AR'sfor $500 and let me tell you they were selling like crazy but could get new one for $600 but the ones in the bbl's were all different styles nothing specific.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 06:54:18 AM »
You basically have two sizes of AR's.  The first size is the 223 and all those smaller variants.  The other size (and also larger) is the 308 type AR's and those variants.  On a 223 lower you can't just put on a 308 upper and go to the range.  The two will never match up, but you could put a 6.8mm SPC upper or 454 Socom upper on a 223.  There are plenty of options on an ar-15, but just make sure you do your homework first, and it seems to me like you're already doing your homework. 

Offline Illhunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 07:05:46 AM »
Iam trying to when I getmy finances back where I want them I plan to buy a few new pistols already know the ones I want and then get a rifle but still not sure which I want. 223/5.56 is good start and then i saw the upper for the 6.5 grendel but not sure how god a deal it is at $530. thaks for the help and i truly think an AR will be in the future just for fun and maybe yotes.   

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 07:10:36 AM »
One slight correction:

AR's are basically a semi-auto T/C Encore.

This should say "AR's are basically a semi-auto NEF Handi-Rifle."  Just trying to keep you outa hot water with the "Global Moderator" there Jason.  dat boy be everywhere!   :o

Thanks to the thread I think you are talking about IllHunter.  Because of it I now have got the hots for an AR upper in a suitable deer caliber.  If the concept interests you get into it.  I think the AR is about the best multi-function rifle platform there is!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline jasonprox700

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 07:21:47 AM »
AtlLaw,
I was going to post  this anyway, but to answer your question, I can think of a few different suitable deer calibers that can be had in an AR.  6.8 SPC & 6.5 Grendel of course.  .458 SOCOM (I want one!!!) and .50 Beowolf. 

But the calibers and gun that strike my fancy are from DTech.  He makes a .243 WSSM & .25 WSSM.  I would like to pick up the .243 WSSM for deer/coyote rifle.  I think that would be a sweet rifle.  Both are pretty close to the there counter parts, .243 and .25-06.  I love both calibers, but they cannot be had in an AR-15.

Offline jasonprox700

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 07:25:15 AM »
One slight correction:

AR's are basically a semi-auto T/C Encore.

This should say "AR's are basically a semi-auto NEF Handi-Rifle."  Just trying to keep you outa hot water with the "Global Moderator" there Jason.  dat boy be everywhere!   :o

My bad!  Must have been a typo! :P ;)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 07:52:32 AM »
I've read of guys hunting in Indiana with 458 socoms for deer in Indiana.  I think that caliber was an unforseen loophole in the pistol cartridge rifle rules, but it got through and people are heading to the woods with AR's.  I'm happy with my lever gun for deer hunting, but wouldn't mind trying out an AR sometime too.  Reading everthing lately is giving me the itch to buy an AR again too.

Offline Illhunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 08:38:44 AM »
not sure i need the 458 socom or 50 beauwolf but the 243 wssm or 25 wssm sound good but bet the 6.8 or 6.5 would do well for both the deer and yotes. anyone have any experience with the 6.8spc or 6.5 grendel. now i really have an itch to get an AR.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
This is a bigtime 6.8mm SPC website with hunting stories.

**If you're sensitive to blood & guts, don't look at this link.

http://cardinalarmory.com/cardarm-pcart/pc/viewcontent.asp?idpage=11

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 01:21:57 AM »
Thats a 27 cal. bulet for you teddy ... I recall reading a article when the 6.8 came out that some big wigs and executives in the gun industry used it on a mule deer hunt and ended up taking a nice buck with one and done...
  A caliber I have been interested in for a while , and im off to a good start ..Already found a few pieces of brass at the range ;)

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 03:22:15 AM »
My only complaint about the 6.8 is that in an AR type rifle the heaviest bullet you're going to find on the factory shelves is 115gr.  That's not a big or heavy bullet, but I guess it'll work.  I sold the one I used to have because it wasn't very accurate, but that had more to do with the rifle setup than anything else.

Offline fastbike

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 11:57:07 AM »
It's a little more than that. You need a "complete upper assembly". This will (should) give the upper receiver, barrel, handguards, sights, bolt carrier and bolt.

AR's are basically a semi-auto T/C Encore.  On the Encore, you swap barrels to change calibers.  On the AR, you change the upper receiver.

AR's have two main sections, the upper and lower receiver.  The upper receiver is made up of the bolt carrier group, chamber, barrel, forearm...  The lower houses the trigger group and stock. 

Example;
If you already owned .223/5.56 AR, and you wanted one in a 6.5, you would need to purchase an upper receiver chambered in 6.5.  You would then put the lower from your .223 onto the 6.5, and presto, complete rifle.  Although, if it were me, I would purchase another lower so that I would have a complete rifle.  Just my ¢.