Author Topic: Will DEET spook deer & hogs?  (Read 6157 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Will DEET spook deer & hogs?
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2008, 10:57:32 AM »
I've used both, the spray for many years before I learned about the miltary version. The soak method has the spray beat hands down and there's no wasted overspray and possible missed coverage. You can buy a whole box of nitrile disposable gloves for about $5 that can be used for a lot of chores, the gloves that come with the kit aren't very good, but will work for the simple task of removing the treated clothing if you're careful. I've never had a problem soaking the clothing, absorbtion is complete and there is no residue left except a damp plastic bag which can be thrown in the trash. The empty spray can is more of a disposal issue than the empty plastic bag!! ::)

Follow the directions and roll the clothing and tie with the provided string. After the bag is sealed, I step on it and the clothing to work the liquid completely into the cloth and saturate it, then leave it for a few hours, when the clothing is removed, it's completely wet, ALWAYS, there has never been any dry spots, if there are you aren't following the direction and wasting the remaining product that you're complaining about disposing!! If it's good enough for our boys in the military, it's good enough for me.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 11:20:48 AM »
the military uses large drums that they dip the closes in not a cheap little plastic bag.

Offline whiskey101

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 11:22:12 AM »
Thermacell!

+1

After living and hunting in south Florida swamps, I am convinced that the Thermocell was heaven sent and God created it just for all us praying hunters.
"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out into the street."

Offline whiskey101

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2008, 11:28:40 AM »
$20.00 minimum to drive the bugs away (Thermocell) versus kill them for pennies on the dollar (permethrin).  That's the POWER of marketing.  Some like gadgets in the tree stand with them.  Technohunters.  Go figure.

I use both. I spray my clothes to kill the ticks and chiggers, but permethrin does not keep the buzzing bugs out of your ear and that drives me nuts! So I flip on the Thermocell and no bugs around.
"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out into the street."

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2008, 02:07:47 PM »
ThermaCell equals Permethrin (very closely).

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/thermacell-repellents.htm
The ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent utilizes the active ingredient known as allethrin. It belongs to a class of materials called pyrethroids, which are synthetic analogs of pyrethrin, which is a naturally occurring insecticide found in certain types of chrysanthemum...

http://www.3dchem.com/molecules.asp?ID=126
Permethrin is a powerful, rapidly acting insecticide,similar in structure to natural pyrethrim insecticide derived from the crushed and dried flowers of the daisy Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium.

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2008, 05:31:07 AM »
When preparing for our trip to Africa I started with JJHack's recommendation, but I purchased the Cutter Bug Free Backyard concentrate ($10 for 32 oz) instead of the spray. I diluted it down to .5% in my pump sprayer. I laid out our clothes out in the backyard on tarps and sprayed them down good and then hung them up to dry where they were outside, but protected from sunlight. I was able to treat everything and had some left over. We also used the cream based DEET. Found I like it much better than the oily sprays that I normally use when hunting. When didn't get one single bite in Africa.

After returning we were working on my deer lease and we both got ate up by chiggers. Two weeks later we went back to deer lease, but we used the DEET cream  and sprayed our pants legs and shoes with permethrin. No chigger bytes.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2008, 05:03:51 AM »
    I got into this one late but good reading.  Just to get back to the original question, yes game will spook with bug repelant.  In fact game with spook with anything out of the ordinary.  Game doesn't know the human scent, it just knows you smell different and that spells danger.

Offline vinpar092

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2008, 10:38:06 AM »
Great topic. I've used the permonone for years hunting turkey's in the swamp in southeast Louisiana and have had great results. I've never thopught of mixing my own. Just purchased the 38% concentration and mixed 9 teaspoons to a gallon. Recommended was 8tsp/gallon with 40-50% concentration to give .5%/gallon. A little extra but this stuff has never bothered me. I use it along with my thermacell (only when they get bad). Will be trying it soon hanging stands.

Vince

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
+1 on Thermacell it flat works. Cost may be a consideration. The Thermacell makes the bugs leave not just quit biting but leave. I'm a believer, no experience with the pyrethroids but seems they need to get on you to get a dose, not so with the cell.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Casull

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2008, 01:47:26 PM »
I'm a believer, no experience with the pyrethroids but seems they need to get on you to get a dose, not so with the cell.

EQ has a point there.  Why should I care about whether the bugs die AFTER they have landed on me and bit me?  Also, the permithon doesn't protect exposed areas (face, hands, etc.), right? 
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2008, 04:27:09 AM »
Empty Quiver is right about the Thermacell. It just makes the bugs leave. no bugs...nothing to bite you. Simple concept and it works. I still spray my clothing with Permanone. Also, I spray my mesh gloves with it, and my mesh face mask with it. So....I am really covered from head to toe if a bug manages to get to me a'fore the Thermacell gets working real good in my "space". 

But again, my theroy is.....better to have the "Cell" on and not move.....than to be whackin at bugs and be spotted 100 yards away by that big 14 point with the drop tine!

Dave

Offline vinpar092

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2008, 06:31:45 AM »
The experience I have with permethrin while turkey hunting in Southeast Louisiana is that the misquito's are brutal. Its nothing to have hundreds if not a thousand around you. I quit hunting turkeys at one point because they were so bad. I started using permonone and found that while walking they would swarm me but not bite, same as if walking without my thermacell on except they would bite. After sitting down for probrably a minute or two, the misquito's would basically either leave, die, or not want to be around me. I thought it was the greatest thing (I've used this stuff for years before thermacell came out). So now when I use them in conjunction its great. I don't bet bit walking around and I don't get bothered in my stand. Permetherine is the same product that you spray your house ie sofa/furniture for fleas. After it dries you sit on your sofa. Your kids are all in it, your pets are around it.

Vince

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2008, 07:53:11 AM »
Quote from: Empty Quiver
The Thermacell makes the bugs leave not just quit biting but leave. I'm a believer, no experience with the pyrethroids but seems they need to get on you to get a dose, not so with the cell.

If you cover up exposed surfaces for biting insects, and most of us in the south and southeast MUST cover up, then KILLING the biting insects that make contact with us instead of just "shooing them away" makes this afternoon's hunt and tomorrow's and the day after that significantly less annoying.

Thermacell uses a synthetic pyrethroid that drives bugs away.  Permethrin (ingredient of Permanone) is a synthetic pyrethroid that KILLS biting insects. 

Do the math is all I suggest.

Thermacell heaters cost $30.00 (incl. shipping), an optional carrying case for $20.00, ultimately require rechargable "cigarette lighter" type butane supply (about $9.00/ea), and require non-rechargable pyrethroid-laced "patches" (about $4.00/ea) that are heated by the butane.  So, to get started with a Thermacell expect to pay about $40.00 with follow-on purchases up to $20.00 per season (depending on use) to keep it working.

Permethrin (2.50%) laced insecticide costs $13.89 plus tax at Home Depot for 32 ozs. (one quart) that can be cut with water to make 160 ozs. (1.25 gallons) of 0.50% solution.  This solution should last all hunting season depending on your individual use.

For the Record...I just bought my first Thermacell for duck hunting this season.  I'll let you know what I think of it after the first/second/third uses.

It isn't always about the money.  But it is worth the time to compare alternatives.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2008, 08:20:14 AM »
Land Owner.....well there ya go. I either didn't see it in this post, or maybe it wasn't posted, but I didn't realize i could buy this "stuff" by the quart at my local Home Depot. I'll look for it on my next trip. Thanks.

Give a post when you've given the Thermacell a good test. I've found it to be a great product. Doesn't work so well on semi-windy days...but the skeeters don't fly well then either. And on just plain windy days, skeeters don't fly and leave the Thermacell in the truck.

Dave