Author Topic: Locking Lugs  (Read 623 times)

Offline 7 MM

• Trade Count: (0)
Locking Lugs
« on: August 06, 2008, 04:22:01 AM »
I didn't see anything on cleaning so decided to post here.Hope it is the right place.
I have a couple of 8x56R Hungarian steyrs. the losking lugs in the receiver have light rust,blood rust ,on them. Nothing I have tried has been able to remove it.
cut it down using the large brush on the drill moter but cannot get rid of it all.
I think this is one of the reasons the bolts are hard to operate at times.
Does anyone have a sure fire way to get rid of this problem?
Any help would be appreciated

7 MM

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Locking Lugs
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 08:12:27 AM »
JMO, but the only way to remove old rust, and maybe most of the pitting, from a receiver's bolt lug seats is by lapping with a fine automotive valve grinding compound - which is probably going to exasperate what might already be a rifle with excessive headspace.

I would plug the chamber throat, and fill the chamber and bolt lug area of the receiver wuth household Hydrogen Peroxide - then let it sit/soak for a few days to dissolve the blood.

I'd then lap the surface rust only with one extremely light-pressure pass of the bolt lungs coated with the lapping compound,  then clean & lube both bolt & receiver- and try the action to see how you've progressed.  Baby steps.

(The lapping is done with a stripped bolt given backward pressure while opening/closing - to simulate cartridge backpressure)

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Kragman71

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 02:13:43 AM »
If you can access a glass bead gun,that would be your best bet.
The glass seems to attact the rust,and not the steel.
Frank
Frank

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 11:33:59 AM »
There are several methods for rust removal but are fairly involved. There are even chemicals such as 'Naval Jelly' that are designed to do just what you need. If using Naval Jelly be sure to keep it off the bluing as bluing is just a form of rusting.. Use plenty of water to rinse away the remnants and dilute the remaining NavalJelly..
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."