Author Topic: Elk down!  (Read 1669 times)

Offline lucky guy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Elk down!
« on: October 30, 2007, 08:59:59 PM »
I got this 6 x 7 on opening day in the Maury Mtns in eastern Oregon.

A little before 6:00 pm a herd of about 20 came into one of the fields about 3/4 mile away. At first I could only see a few cows and a couple calves, then a spike stepped out. I dropped below the ridge and headed toward them to get the spike. I popped over a rocky knob right on top of them, about 75 yds away. I was alot closer than I meant to be and I didn't want to take too much time and risk spooking them, but I couldn't find the spike through the junipers. Then this guy stepped into view. I didn't count the points but there were alot of them so I took the shot. He ran about 20 yds and fell dead.

When I shot and the herd bolted it turned out there were alot more there than I had been able to see. The ground shook as they broke toward me into the closest trees for cover. I thought for a second they might come up and over the knob where I was sitting but they turned and side hilled through the trees for a little ways and were gone.

We hunted hard for another 4 days to get a shot for my brother. We think we found where they were, but we just couldn't get a look at them. On Saturday I tracked another (the same?) small herd for a few miles into the same area where I'd shot the bull a couple of days before. We just never got a look at them.

It was a great hunt!

Here's a few more.
http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g61/glennbrown/07%20Elk%20pics/#

Offline lewdogg21

• Avid Poster
Re: Elk down!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 07:18:14 PM »
Very nice bull.  Your link to the photos don't work.  Give us the links under the pictures when they are in thumbnail view on photobucket.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 10:39:42 AM »
 :) Very nice elk

Offline colocowboy76

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 08:25:39 PM »
not too bad!! ;)  most people don't realize how much harder it is to shoot a big bull than it is to shoot a big deer.  congrats

Offline lucky guy

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 01:06:02 PM »
Thanks, it makes it easier to take the spike or small branch bull now and not have to decide whether to wait for something bigger.

That's a pretty nice bull in your thumbnail too!  Is there a story there?

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 06:32:27 AM »
Yeah Sure!!!  How big of an animal doya think you can fit inside a thumbnail.  Be lucky if you could even fit in a fly.
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline colocowboy76

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 07:44:30 PM »
That one was a good bull me and the little brother tracked down one the last day of the hunt last year.  He actually got turned around, the day before, in a valley and was hiking out when he jumped a couple of bachelors in the timber.  Didn't get a shot, so we decided to hunt the same area the following morning.  We decided to hike to the top of the draw and work down from the top, about 400 yards into the dark timber he came meandering thru the timber.  He took 4 rounds in the pump house before he flopped.  A great hunt that shows that you just have to keep walking till you find them.