Author Topic: Yesterday's NSSA mortar match  (Read 822 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Yesterday's NSSA mortar match
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 02:06:37 AM »
There are some things I do miss about living on the east coast...this is one of them

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 03:06:21 AM »
I wasn't going to go back there today, but a friend told me that an original bronze 32-pounder field howitzer was competing in the 2nd relay of the cannon competition.  Since I've never seen one of those fired before (how many living people have?) I'm going to go and see if I can get some decent footage for another video.

Yesterday I met "Rampa Room" (Rick Bryan) and bought some soft lead from him, so I can make some more Trash Can projectiles for various rifled guns.  Also met "Artilleryman" (Norm Gibson) and had the pleasure of talking to him for a few minutes.  Then of course I got caught up on all the rumors, lies, and even a few facts with other folks I already knew.  I guess that's the best part of the NSSA shoots for me, networking and getting information you don't get anywhere else.

If you watch the video, there's one scene where a slim civilian in a green shirt is firing the original 8" siege mortar marked "3rd. US artillery."  He had a crew there filming, I guess for some TV series.  Maybe someone recognizes him, must be one of those History or Discovery Channnel things, I dunno.  If you figure out what show he's on then you can follow up and watch the NSSA edition of the show he's apparently gonna do.  I dropped cable TV service after the price went up too high, that's why I don't recognize him, maybe I'll ask more questions today and find out.

Well, gotta get away from this infernal machine, find some more camera batteries, and hit the road here shortly.

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 05:30:37 AM »
At approximately 5 minutes 18 seconds into the video there is what appears to be a remotely controlled camera on a tripod setup downrange pointing back at one of the mortars, it is in view again at around 7 minutes 40 seconds... would be interesting to see that view.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 03:51:29 PM »
The camera on tripod I think belonged to the TV crew.  If someone recognizes the guy in the green shirt as host of something or other show, find out when the NSSA segment of the show will air.

Offline guardsgunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 10:52:08 AM »
The TV crew belonged to the NRA. I dont know when it is going to air.

Offline Artilleryman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 07:26:23 AM »
They are supposed to let us know when it will air.  They were just going to make one show, but got so much good stuff that they are planning at least three.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA