Author Topic: Handi Got Two Caribou  (Read 715 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Handi Got Two Caribou
« on: August 12, 2008, 08:42:28 AM »
Just got back this morning from a three day Caribou hunting trip.  Norm and I brought back two Caribou, one apiece.  Handi accounted for both.

First day season was not open, but we saw maybe fifty Caribou moving around just below our camp.  Opening morning We were sitting just below the top of a hill watching the saddle below us.  The sun was warm and Norm fell asleep.  I got up to go to my 4-wheeler to get some water, leaving my Handi lying on the ground next to Norms rifle.  Norm woke up, raised up and there stood a Caribou 100 yards away looking straight at him.  Without taking his eyes off the Caribou he reached for his rifle.  He accidentally hit it with his hand before he got a grip on it and it slid down the bank out of reach.  He glanced to the side and saw mine lying there so he grabbed it instead.  By now the Caribou was running, so he shouldered the Handi and took the shot.  One Caribou down.  Five hours later I saw antlers over the bank and watched them for what seemed a long time.  Finally they came up and I could see they were attached to a nice Bull.  I waited till it got to an area I could reach with the 4-wheeler and shot it just behind the ear.  Norm hates it when I do that, screws up the antlers for a mount by blowing out the top of the skull.  But it puts them on the ground to stay.  I was using a 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.

While we were dressing them out guys walking the area would stop to check them out, and seeing the Handi lying on the ground within reach they would ask "What kind of gun is that"?  I would tell them it is an old H&R, they would not understand NEF.  Then they would ask about the short barrel, guessing it to be 18", its a full 22".  Those guys just can't comprehend a gun with no action for a bolt.

No bears this time, DARN.  kept hoping one would try and come in.  Did have a Crossfox pay us a visit.  Brave little sucker, ran up and grabbed a piece of fat I had thrown aside, then ran off.  When Norm shot his Caribou he shot it in the side, damaging a lot of the rib area.  We had cut the good meat off the ribs and left the bloodshot meat there.  While we were cleaning mine, we watched three Bald Eagles picking the ribs clean, and fighting over it.  That's why the fox came to the site we were working at.  The Eagles would not let it close to the carcuss they had claimed.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Handi Got Two Caribou
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 08:49:24 AM »
Great story and experience. Thanks for sharing!
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 11:18:12 AM »

Enjoy the caribou steaks Sourdough,  Marv.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 11:41:19 AM »
Congrats  Rog, thanks for sharing, we really appreciate your experiences and you sharing them with us. ;)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 11:47:25 AM »
Yea, it sure is rough living in paradise.  Leaving later in the week to go down on the Denali Highway looking for more Caribou for my son, and hoping for a Grizzly or two.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline chip-don

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 11:53:29 AM »
that taking a nap trick works a lot  ;D ;D 

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 02:38:06 PM »
Your livin the dream Sourdough. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline jdwolf

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 11:16:42 AM »
Chalk up two more Caribou kills with a good 'ole H&R/NEF handi rifle.  I love these little compact single shot rifles and they will get the job done!
Help support concealed carry in Illinois,  show your support.  http://www.cafepress.com/sicc

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 12:22:56 PM »
Way to go,sounds like fun! Thanks for sharing.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline OBXPilgrim

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 04:12:22 PM »

I was using a 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.

30-06? or 308?