Author Topic: FAQ's and Help  (Read 580 times)

Offline Diesel40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
FAQ's and Help
« on: April 21, 2009, 11:47:13 AM »
I have spent a good bit of time today in the FAQ's and Help and Searching old Post.  There is a lot of good info there.  I spent a lot of time looking at the process of breaking in a new barrel and have a question that I could not figure out about the Bore Guide.  Does the bore Guide just aline the rod so that it doesn't rub?  I can't figure out if it just helps center the rod or if it protects the throat.  I am haveing a hard time putting in word what I am trying to say.  Say if you are using jb to polish the bore, does the patch rub on the throat or is that being protected.  I was thinking about just using the emty case and drill out the primer and use that for a guide.  As far as the gun is concerned does this protect as good as a bore guide does?  I realize that it can scratch the rod, but that i am not as concerned with.  Thanks for your help.

Offline MrJames680

• Squirrels are just plain no good.
Re: FAQ's and Help
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 12:02:32 PM »
As I understand it a 'bore guide' does prevent the rod from rubbing the sides of the bore. I don't believe that you need to protect the throat. I didn't and my rifle(s) are plenty accurate. May want to get some more input on this before you try tho.

I hope this will clarify things for you if you haven't read this yet.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums//index.php/topic,103479.msg1098284834.html#msg1098284834

James
De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites. (Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan it)

Offline Hofs01

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 12:19:56 PM »
Keeps the rod in perfect alignment to the bore & maintains rifle accuracy by eliminating wear in the chamber throat. Prevents solvent from entering mag., trigger mechanism, or spoiling stock finish
IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
how come God made 'em outta meat?

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 12:59:58 PM »
D40

I use a drilled case for most of mine , the Handi's have long throats and most of the time , and the case could never reach to the lands anyway , I have not noticed any excessive throat wear at the bore / throat junction due to this .

I use the case's more to just aline the rod than anything else .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline MrJames680

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 01:30:27 PM »
I used this document as a guide. http://www.twincityrodandgun.com/PDF%20files/Rifle%20Bore%20Lapping.pdf (would this document be good in the FAQ?) I am totally satisfied with my accuracy. I did, however, do this process with the barrel off and in a vise to hold it. I also paid no attention to the crown and had it redone. I didn't polish the throat much and the chamber was done a second time as I had sticking case issues... 

If anyone disagrees with this I would love to know as it just helps me learn.
De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites. (Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan it)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 01:53:15 PM »
I guess I'm just OLD SCHOOL , all I've ever done is shoot in my barrels , by that I take them out of the box , clean very well and then put 50 or so rounds down range , clean well again , another 50 rounds , clean and wa-laa its ready .  ???

So far this has worked for me , even with my .243 super lite , the problem child of Handi barrels .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 01:56:15 PM »
I used to polish all of them, but I quit doing it unless I find one that doesn't want to shoot good with the first load I try in it, so far that hasn't happened!!  ;D I'll add the link to the FAQs, thanks MrJames.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 02:07:13 PM »
I'm in with stimpy and Tim, just shoot unless there is a problem.  We all need more practice and what better way to have fun?  I'll take shooting over running a cleaning rod anyday! ;) ;D  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline MrJames680

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
The next barrel I get for my handi I will for sure just plain shoot and clean.  8)
I must admit that I am very technical and love to 'play'  ::)
But there is something to be said for simplicity.  8)
My bolt action 1947 Winchester single shot 22LR- shoots like a lazer!  ;)
All I do with it it keep it real clean. Its throat is super worn out/eroded. (so many rounds...)  ;D
Dont want to bend this topic too much. :)

Diesel40-
Please let us know what you did and how it worked.   ;)

James

Offline Diesel40

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 03:35:16 AM »
I don't plan on polishing the bore, it shoot great the way it is. I was just curoius about the whole purpose of the bore guide.  I only clean and shoot mine. 

On another note, I was told when running a brush, run it from breach to muzzle only.  Do any of you do this or do you run them both ways?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 04:43:24 AM »
It's best and real easy to brush from the chamber on a Handi, but some rifles like semi-autos and leverguns you can't with a rod unless you use a pull thru or install the brush on the rod in the action which is a PIA, then you use a muzzle guard, which is what I use for a bore guide on the chamber end of a Handi except for the 17s and 204 for which I use Patchworms;) Better yet, don't use a brush at all, just use a foaming bore cleaner like WipeOut which is brushless, use the search on it, there are a million threads here on it and other foaming cleaners including some in the FAQs.  ;D

Tim

Offline Diesel40

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 07:24:44 AM »
Thanks Tim, I appreciate the help.  So do you not like to use a brush?  I have heard some say to use them and others not, that it can damage the bore.  When I bought my 243 my ffl is old school and told me to break it, just shoot it 50 time or so and run a brush through it after each shot and then just clean about every 50 shot or so. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 08:31:12 AM »
I only use nylon brushes if I do brush, but about the only time I brush is if I have carbon fouling that the foaming cleaner won't remove, then I use Hoppe's Elite cleaner and just a few brush strokes.

Tim

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html