Author Topic: Tropical Storm Coehorn  (Read 861 times)

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Tropical Storm Coehorn
« on: August 23, 2008, 07:14:08 AM »
We are in the midst of tropical storm Fay here west of Tallahassee. We have around 8 inches of rain so far with a 50 mile wide band of hard rain coming from the East. The weather people said for us to expect 4 to 5 inches per hour for the next few hours. We don't have to worry about flooding here since we live on a hill 150 feet above sea level, that's pretty high considering that the highest point in Florida is only 345 feet. It's a great day for shop work so have started finishing my last GB Coehorn. As you can see from the picture, most of the outside can be finished in the lathe but everything from the front of the rimbases back has to be finished with files, that's what I'm working on, The part that is hand finished is cast close to finish size so it wont take so much file work but the final finish suffers a bit. Now back to the shop where I can work while listening to the rain on the tin roof

Max

Max

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: Tropical Storm Coehorn
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 08:11:45 AM »
   That's looking fine Max, I went looking for an earlier thread and couldn't find anything; did you cast the mortar yourself and is it brass?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 09:21:04 AM »
Max Caliber,

That's PURTY!!! I like it! Can't wait to see it all shined up and ready to shoot.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 09:55:20 AM »
M C That is beautiful! I love the color.

Have you tried to "kiss-off" the trunnion ends by turning them? It will make your knuckles white the first few times.

Michael

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 12:22:38 PM »
I believe its to redish to be brass , more probably bronze .
but its an really nice mortar .
attach it to the jaws in one trunnion and you could turn the other trunnion and the reinforcement from the trunnion and up , then turn it around and do the other side and you have much less filing to do by hand
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 02:02:55 AM »
The mortar I cast in bronze, it takes about 11 pounds of metal to cast a 1/3 scale coehorn. I have already done the rough filing so it wont take much more work to finish it. I usually have several projects going at the same time so it takes a while to finish one. I am going to make a different bed for this one that I think people will find interesting, will post pictures.

Dan, we need a whisky still forum here. I grew up in a place and time where copper pot stills were plentiful. I experimented with building a still years before I built my first cannon.

Max
Max

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 02:10:30 AM »
the still in my avatar is almost 300 years old
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 08:44:07 AM »
the still in my avatar is almost 300 years old

I was wondering what that was. It's beautiful, a real work of art.

Here in the Okefenokee, this is more the type of still I'm familiar with...

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 09:06:08 AM »
WELL camoflaged!  You can't even see any trace of smoke nor paths leading up to it!

The folks near here in Floyd and Franklin counties would be right much proud of y'all.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 10:54:36 AM »
I recently sold mine at auction :'( in 3 stages during 3 weeks, i.e. pot, coil, condenser. Safer that way.  Mere possession is a felony. :-X   I remember when my uncle gave up working his and had it stored in the coal bin. He was at his 9 to 5 and came home to find my aunt had it polished and on the front lawn with flowers. :o  He was a blossom.  He taught me alot of things. ;)

Saint Richard "The Reformed" (well almost)
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 11:09:08 AM »
unfortunately that little hobby is illegal in most western countries now   ::) ::)
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 03:11:32 PM »
The mortar I cast in bronze, it takes about 11 pounds of metal to cast a 1/3 scale coehorn. I have already done the rough filing so it wont take much more work to finish it. I usually have several projects going at the same time so it takes a while to finish one. I am going to make a different bed for this one that I think people will find interesting, will post pictures.

Dan, we need a whisky still forum here. I grew up in a place and time where copper pot stills were plentiful. I experimented with building a still years before I built my first cannon.

Max

Are you casting them yourself or having a foundry do it? your casting came out very nice. I have a pattern for one
that I am still finishing and will have to farm it out to a foundry, I live in the suburbs and the neighbors would complain
too much if I start building a furnace in the back yard.........  :-[
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 04:25:57 PM »
dont be so sure about that , tell them what you are planning and I can guarantee that some of them need something to be cast . it could be an cannon , mortar or an piece to an sailing boat .
talk to them before you think its not possible to do it by yourself,
there is an yahoo group called backyard casting , check that out first .
there is no big deal to make smaller castings .
ok it takes a few hours of studies , but thats just fun .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 01:20:09 PM »
Kabar2, I do my own casting. You don't have to build a permanent melting furnace, you can build a portable furnace that uses propane. They are not expensive to build and you can melt 5 to 10 pounds of brass or more with a one burner furnace.

Max
Max