Author Topic: Naval Academy creates Cannon Conservation Fund  (Read 521 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Naval Academy creates Cannon Conservation Fund
« on: August 06, 2008, 01:01:22 PM »
The first activity that showed an immediate interest in my observations regarding corroding trophy cannons was the US Naval Academy.  They had already done a professional study of the condition of the Mexican Monument including the four bronze cannons that are part of the monument, and have plans for a conservation project that will take place when sufficient funding becomes available.  The Naval Academy does not receive sufficient appropriated funds to maintain the many monuments and cannons in the Yard, so it relies on private funding from foundations and private donors for those projects.  The four rare bronze Spanish cannons on the Mexican Monument are four out of 23 which are in rather urgent need of conservation.  If you would like to help with cannon conservation at the US Naval Academy, you may send your tax-deductible contribution to:

Naval Academy Foundation
291 Wood Road
Annapolis, MD 21402
Attn:  CFR

Please write on the top of the check:  "Cannon Fund"

Here's a picture of the Mexican Monument and the four cannons

http://photographichappenstance.com/2006/05/29/mexican-monument-usna/

Offline cannonmn

Re: Naval Academy creates Cannon Conservation Fund
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 02:14:38 PM »
Today I conducted a tour of the bronze cannons at USNA for the benefit of Foundation and Museum officials. We discussed condition issues as well as possible courses of action and various coatings that might be used. Foundation officials have had good luck using "clear coat" to preserve outdoor bronze signs. However, an opaque, removeable paint-type coating may be advantageous to preserve the present color of the cannons while excluding oxygen, moisture, and direct sunlight. Some of the smaller cannons which are not considered essential parts of buildings or important monuments may be considered for transfer to indoor displays. It seems that a thorough conservation study will be conducted, and the results will guide future actions regarding the cannons.

As you can imagine, I'm quite pleased that one military museum has decided to act on this problem.   I think I can get something going at Ft. McNair also, there are people on that post who have expressed an interest in the situation, despite the "party line" I got in their letter.  I haven't heard back from the Naval District Washington yet but the admiral has only had my letter for about a week, so it may take them some time to check things out.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 11:53:20 PM »
Cannonmn,

This shows that one individual can accomplish much! Thanks to your efforts some rare bronze cannon
may continue to have a place in history. I'm sure if the disease got much worse where metal was
beginning to flake off we would see bits of history disappear from the grounds lost forever.
I think we all need to look at cannon in our area and see if anything is being done to preserve
them for the future. there is a row of captured bronze cannon near the museum at Fort Monrow
a military base which is being closed and turned over to the city (this will be a sad day) I have no idea
if the cannon of the museum will be left behind of will be moved but one would hope that they would
stay. hopefully something can be done to protect these guns from bronze disease.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 12:31:37 AM »
yeah its very admirable to hear what you have accomplished here , this show what one persistant person can do if he really want and knows what he is talking about .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 03:46:02 AM »
Thanks for the info on Ft. Monroe, the Casemate Museum is (or was) a world-famous attraction.  Ft. Monroe was one of the few places that took any cannon-protection measures.  At least one if not more pairs of extremely rare Tredegar Foundry Confederate 6-pounders (or James rifles?) was painted gloss black.  These were the guns in front of the headquarters or TRADOC buildings.  There is a very diverse lineup of guns on pedestals in front of the Casemate Museum which didn't seem to be getting any particular care.

Allen, why don't you apply for one of jobs at the new city-run museum, then you could make sure those treasures are taken care of!
Of course, then when I visit, I'll want a special tour including seeing everything in the back room.

BTW, Ft. McNair is now my current focus for preservation.  I temporarily suspended efforts on the Washington Navy Yard until they figure out who's in charge of that collection, right now it is just wasted effort on my part.  There's a brand-new Museum of the United States Army going up at nearby Fort Belvoir, VA., and if some covered location could be found, that's the best place for the Ft. McNair cannons.

If anyone wants to contribute even a little to the Naval Academy Foundation for their "Cannon Fund" preservation effort, we'd all appreciate it.  I'm trying to help ensure this first-ever systematic study-to-treatment effort of a large collection of trophy cannons is successful.  I handed over my initial $500. donation during the tour there the other day.

For anyone who donates $50. or more, as long as we can get a group of at least 10 such donors together, I'll personally conduct a very detailed tour of the USNA cannons for that group, on site, on a day to be agreed upon later.  By detailed, I mean we'll get down to examining the markings on all 23 bronze cannons, and such of the iron and steel ones as time permits, I'm planning on about 2-3 hours.  We'd also look at the condition issues of each gun and try to figure out what's going on with respect to the ageing of each one, and why.  All you'd need for a "ticket" is hard-copy evidence of your donation such as copy of both sides of a cancelled check, or I can verify it with the Naval Academy Foundation's records. 

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 04:07:41 AM »
John, Kudos to you my friend. I'm sure you will have no problem receiving donation from our members for a just cause.

Ed

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 12:21:40 PM »
You've heard the expression, 'put your money where your mouth is';  John, you've demonstrated it.

Keep up the challanges!

We (individually and collectively) NEED this kind of leadership!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)