Author Topic: Cast bullets in a ported gun  (Read 806 times)

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
Cast bullets in a ported gun
« on: August 23, 2008, 01:36:28 PM »
I cannot remember where I read it but remember reading that one should not shoot cast bullets in a gun with a ported barrel. I have a Taurus Titanium Tracker in .41 mag with ports. Any comments?

Thank you!!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Cast bullets in a ported gun
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 02:06:33 PM »
Ignore such comments.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 04:45:35 PM »
I have more than 1 ported gun that have lived on a strict diet of cast from the beginning and I ain't changing my ways because some Eshooter said it was wrong.  Like GB said already, ignore and move on.

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 04:52:11 AM »
Good, I will do that. Thanks for the input.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 03:34:28 PM »
Good advice, UNLESS you have something like a Cutts Compensator.  A large port with lots of metal around it should have NO trouble.  I know of one fellow who was shooting a Thompson with a Cutts compensator - a piece of the thin metal on the top was broken out by something from the cast bullets he was firing.  FWIW, YMMV.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline jhalcott

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 04:33:36 PM »
  There IS a difference in a ported barrel and a barrel BREAK. If the device is attached to the barrel AND has an expansion chamber ,it COULD cause a problem. A "ported barrel" has holes machined thru the barrel. These holes MAY collect a grey dusting with cast bullets. The dusting is easily removed with a "Q" tip. It is often only a layer of bullet lube.

Offline darkroomdan

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 11:07:09 AM »
I have a Taurus Titanium Tracker in .357 with the ported 4" barrel. With cast bullets there is a small amount of what looks like melted lead in the machined area around the ports. The lead is easily removed by scraping with a sharp tool. Can't tell any difference in accuracy. When shooting heavy loads there is 4-6 inches of flame coming out of the ports! So I guess it melts some off the back of the bullet. Using gas checks solves that though.
-DRD

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 11:29:22 AM »
Thanks for all that info. That was mentioned too, that the ports will lead horribly. I'd use GC's anyway and don't mind cleaning lead with the limited amount of shooting I might do in that gun anyway.

Thanks!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline readr1

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 03:06:12 PM »
I had heard the same for the early Dan Wesson ported revolvers, my WAG is that it has something to do with the barrel nut. FWIW

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 10:11:27 AM »
DO NOT Shoot cast bullets in a Dan Wesson Ported barrel. There is a gap there between the ports and barrel that will clog and while it makes no difference in the shooting you'll play hell getting the shroud off later. The issue begins with the fact that the ports in the barrel and ports in the shroud are not lined up, the serious relief gap makes the problem worse, the only good news is that if you are not successful in removing the shroud just send it off the DW and they will get it done for you. I was able to get mine off by shear luck and force applied with tons of penetrating oil. Can't remember which barrel you actually have on there? Pull the damn collar and look.

For the rest of the ported guns out there of good quality, shoot away. 
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com