Author Topic: 410, 416 stainless and shilen barrels  (Read 448 times)

Offline 338JDJ

• Trade Count: (5)
410, 416 stainless and shilen barrels
« on: January 19, 2009, 01:25:30 PM »
I'm in the process of trying to figure out the type of steel for my 16 or 18" 6.5 Grendel. 410, 416 stainless or a Shilen.
Whats the difference or is there any. I want a accurate barrel. I don't mind paying a little extra. Just don't know where to turn. Everyone out there that makes a custom Grendel has different barrels and different twist rates...how the hell can you decide. I just want to deer hunt and have the capability to shoot 120 to 140 gr bullets out to 400 yds accurately.
Sabre defence offers the the 6.5 in a 410 stainless
SSK Industries offers a Shilen barrel.
Accuracy Systems inc. just says stainless match barrel.
Alexander Arms offers barrel in stainless or a shilen.
I have read that Bill Alexander's personal favorite in a 6.5 is the 18" with a 1:8 twist, But I don't know? I'm just trying to read up as much as I can before I drop this kind of change. I know I will loose vel. but like I say this is gonna be a huntin gun not a 1000 meter match. I want something small, not to much weight and shoots tight groups at 100 to 200 yds. I have a RRA Varmint with a 20" and its heavy.

Thanks
Curtis

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: 410, 416 stainless and shilen barrels
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 05:55:34 PM »
Shilen is a barrel maker NOT a type of steel. They make barrels of both stainless and blued chrome moly steel. Now what type stainless I dunno but I'd bet you could determine that from their website or by asking SSK.

In my opinion the smart thing to do when trusting a custom maker to make a barrel for you is to tell them your expected use and let them decide the twist rate and source for the blank. If you trust them enough to make it for you trust them to chose correctly.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: 410, 416 stainless and shilen barrels
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 02:10:27 AM »
the shilen barrels are probably chorme moly steel. That is usually the most accurate but doesnt last as long. Stainless are a close second in accuacy and some say just as good and hold up better. Chrome plated steel holds up better then regular steel does but still not as well as stainless and chrome plated is usually not as accurate as the others. that is at least what ive been told. Dont take it to the bank though as im just passing info i read and usually wont do that.
blue lives matter