Author Topic: Which scope for which rifle ?  (Read 357 times)

Offline Country Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Which scope for which rifle ?
« on: August 23, 2008, 05:56:44 AM »
I have a 4x40 Nikon buckmaster on my model 88 win. .308  I have acquired a Ruger Hawkeye in .358. I was thinking of putting the Nikon 4x40 on the Hawkeye and buying a 3x940 Nikon prostaff for the .308.(also been looking at Pentax)
   Does the 4x40 have enough power for the .358 or too much for running shots in the timber. I will use it for bear over bait or hogs.
    I can only afford one scope ,so what would you do?

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Re: Which scope for which rifle ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 08:42:58 AM »
I think that the 4x would would great on your Hawkeye, if you want to put it on there.  It has plenty of field of view for any shots you should be taking at close range.  It has good eye relief too, for those "warm" loads with heavy bullets you might try in your .358. 

The real question, IMO, is whether or not you think that you'd like a different scope on the Model 88?  If you like how the Buckmaster looks and feels on the 88, I'd leave it there and get the scope for the Hawkeye.  I'm a fan of compact scopes, and I think that I'd get the Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32 myself. 

You say you can only afford one scope, but have you considered selling the Buckmaster?  Then you could get two scopes if you want to have a variable power scope on each rifle.  If you look at SWFA's Sample List, you can get some good deals on ProStaff scopes (as well as other brands).  Also look hard on ebay as well.  I've seen the 2-7 ProStaff's selling for as little as $100 on both sites, both new and used.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 11:06:30 AM »
CB

The 4x would do fine on the 358 and as for the 308 , what do you plan to do with it ? long range hunting , paper punching , ect . that will determine what power scope you will need . A good 2x7 or 3x9 would work very well for both .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Country Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 01:34:23 PM »
Well, these are hunting rifles. Not paper punchers but they shoot good. The .308 is mostly for deer while the .358 is for bear and hogs.