Author Topic: ???convert wolverine to 209 primer???  (Read 3801 times)

Offline czvz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
???convert wolverine to 209 primer???
« on: March 15, 2008, 01:16:37 AM »
I have a early model Wolverine that uses #11 caps, can it be easily/cheaply converted to shoot musket caps or 209 primers?  I'm aware of the DISC conversion kit but that doesn't float my boat.  If possible list model numbers and sources. 
Thanks CZVZ

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: ???convert wolverine to 209 primer???
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 06:15:35 AM »
You can convert to musket caps by simply buying a musket cap nipple with 1/4"x28 thread. Knight made a 209 conversion kit before the Red Full Plastic Jacket Extreme Conversion that you inserted the bare 209 primer into the breech plug. It uses the sam striker as the current FPJ conversion does. You might be able to find one of these conversions at Knight or by doing a Google search. Knight just might bring it back out since they are offering Non FPJ conversions for most of the other rifles. I am pretty sure there is a stockpile of these somewhere, I also think you could get a pretty good deal on one if you look around. These were forgotten about when the FPJ Extreme conversion was all the rage about 7 years ago.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline czvz

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 01:43:37 PM »
Busta, is that all it takes to go to a Musket Cap?  You mean I don't have to change out the striker/Hammer thingy?  Just swap out the nipple?
Thanx CZVZ

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 02:54:30 PM »
Unless you have some funky striker I haven't seen, yes that is all it takes. If the face of your striker that makes contact with the cap is as large of a diameter as the cap, you are good to go. Just buy yourself a 1/4"-28 Musket nipple, some musket caps and your in business.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline frogee

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 01:42:52 AM »
On my Bighorn that's all i had to do is switch nipples.
Art

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 05:39:05 AM »
You may find the musket cap a better fix than the .209 conversion.  Not only is the 209 harder to load in the limited access space, but the 209 is a lot dirtier.  Unless you are shooting pyrodex pellets, (& even if you are), you will likely not need the extra ignition from a 209.  The musket cap is much hotter than a #11.   

Offline smoky

• Contributor
    • http://www.cattletoday.com/sscc
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 03:39:43 AM »
I thought about switching mine, but it shoots so well with the #11, that I decided just to leave it alone.  I have never had a misfire, even when shooting pellets, which really are not recommended with anything other than the 209, but the #11's set them off every time.  I guess the one thing that is a little inconvenience is removing the #11 without firing.  I found a little tool that is forked one end and flat on the other and it works well to pop off an unspent primer.  If you are looking for a sweet load, try 80 grains of 777 fffg under a dead center 220 grain sabot pushed by the #11.  Mine shoots as well as my centerfires at 100 yards off the bench.

Good luck,

Smoky
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Offline flintlock

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 02:50:36 PM »
I know they did have a kit to do this because my hunting buddy has one and did so, about 6 years ago...I don't know if that kit is still avaliable...

Offline slowfog

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 05:09:16 AM »
I would probably bite the bullet and go with the red disc 209 conversion. I have tried them all at one time or another. I even have the conversion that uses the 209 directly in the breech plug. It works pretty good if you can find a brand of primer that fits tight and doesn't fall out. The most trouble I ever had was with Musket caps. They went bang alright. But they would expand inside the hammer. You either had to pry them out, or worse, you looked down and thought it had already fallen out. You reload pop on another cap, fire, and it wouldn't go off because the old cap was gumming up the works. If you aren't worried about fast reloads than it works fine, and its extremely cheap. But I would keep a pocket knife handy. By the way, I have talked with others who had the same experiance so I don't think I'm the only one.