Author Topic: wheel weight nomenclature  (Read 1239 times)

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
wheel weight nomenclature
« on: May 23, 2008, 09:27:38 PM »
I got a bunch of stick on weights for a local tire shop.  Most have just the weight in ounces and G, but some have the weight and the letters "T" "A" "W", at least I think that's what they have. the "T" for sure.  Do these have tin in them?

I posted this question somewhere, but for the life of me cannot remember where >:(

Gettin old isn't fun.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: wheel weight nomenclature
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 11:45:57 PM »
no idea what the lettering means but all stick on weights are pure or close to it with the exception of some of the newer ones which have been made from zinc. they will allways have a Z on the somewhere and will so much harder that there easy to pick out.
blue lives matter

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 10:18:44 AM »
OK thanks, I have seperated the zinc one and did see a "Z" on them.  Does anyone else happen to know?
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline j104wd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 07:10:31 AM »
those are all how they are shaped on the back so they sit flush with the differnt style of wheels out there. The letters will not tell you the make up of the weight just the shape of the back of them.

Offline hammerhead357

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 04:14:35 PM »
T A W means tape a weight as far as I know. These are the stick on weights that everyone says are pure lead. I think that they are getting recycled with other ww and are getting harder. I recently melted down some stick on weights and then some roofing lead and the stick ons were a lot harder. JMU2CW......Wes

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 02:28:02 PM »
As i understand it, the letters stand for the name of the weights themselves, i.e. company names. TAW stands for Tape A Weight, and other letters represent other companies. The exception to this 'rule' is a Z or Zn, that denotes Zinc material weights and Fe is some alloy that dont melt, not in my pot anyhow, and i have only found these on Corvette and pontiac wheels ( so far ), but they float.
for the most part i have been ignoring the letters, i drop the weights from table top height onto the cement floor, if they thud and dont bounce they are lead, if they ring out or bounce they get set aside, along with any weights that are riveted to the clip. so far so good.