Author Topic: geeksquad  (Read 662 times)

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
geeksquad
« on: August 18, 2008, 04:48:22 PM »
Has any one else had a bad experience with geek squad or compucenter?

My computer got fried in a lightning storm a couple of weeks ago. I've been lurking here on a laptop that is virus/adware ridden but that's another story.

I took it into best buy, 70 bucks and five days to diagnos it and they say it's the power supply. I spend 80 bucks for a new one and install it myself. It still doesn't work so I take it back. Now after four more days, they say my mother board is fried. This is of course on top of waiting in line sometimes for 20 minutes without anyone even asking if I need help.

So now so far I'm up to about 150 bucks, but it gets better.

I go to compucenter where the salesman says I can install a new motherboard myself and I buy one for 130 dollars.

That's 280 so far.

I get it home and it's nothing like the motherboard in my old computer so I call and the salesman starts telling me about different adapters I can buy. I'm pretty handy but I know squat about computers so I take it back and figure I will have them install it before I screw something up. Installation is 85 bucks.

$365.00

I then get a call from the tech doing the work sayiong I need to back up my files $55 and reinstall the operating system on my hard drive $70.

It's now up to a grand total of $490.00 and that's not the best part. He calls the next day after opening my computer up and says the new board I bought is different than the original one (which I found out the hard way also) and he won't be able to plug in all the drives I had installed, there also aren't enough expansion slots for the extras I have (usb bank, optical in/out card) so I can't have erverything I used to have and get this he can't hook up the on/off switch.

That's about the time I lost control. I have dealt with the public myself and really try not to be a pain toward people that are just doing their job (sometimes these things really do just happen) but I couldn't help it. I started yelling about how I could have purchased a brand new computer by this time and how I haven't had a computer for two weeks now.

I have to give him credit though, he handled it very proffessionally and took care of the situation for me.

They took back the motherboard (full credit), no charge for his time (I never had the work done but they did run diagnostics and take it apart and reassemble it) and spent time going over my different options at this point.

I had all my firearms info stored on that computer, so I took the hard drive out of it and turned it into an external hard drive and connected it up to my new computer, a DELL inspiron 530w/ intel core 2 quad proccessor and they had a special, if you buy a computer you can get an all in one epson scanner/printer/copier for $20.

It all worked out in the end and I will definately give compucenter my business from now on.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?