Author Topic: Any of you new AR-15 guys shooting any tracers?  (Read 593 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Any of you new AR-15 guys shooting any tracers?
« on: January 05, 2009, 10:53:53 AM »
Just curious if any of you new AR-15 guys are shooting any tracers or stocking up on them.

I'm specifically asking about the American eagle rounds that are military surplus.

I've been seeing more and more of these around lately, but I can't find more than one review here or there on how well they shoot or how many in a box of 20 light up.  I can't use these at my range, so it wouldn't do me much good to buy a bunch of them because I don't have anywhere to shoot them.  I bought a box just for giggles, but all they do is sit there.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Any of you new AR-15 guys shooting any tracers?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 11:17:10 AM »
Haven't yet but I would be interested in where to find some tracer bullets.  As well as a recommended powder for them  I've heard differing things about which powders are best for ignition of those things. Although the reloading forum would be a better place to look for a recipe.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Totenkopf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Any of you new AR-15 guys shooting any tracers?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 01:45:01 PM »
On lighting them what ever is most accurate in the blc-2 range, varget and h380 come to mind. I just use blc-2. That is what they were loaded with factory(ball 2).  I only use them for sighting in. A lot easier than bore sighting. I have only shot a couple hundred all lit.

As far as the brand you are talking about, don't know I just have the old GI issue Vietnam era rounds, might be same stuff.

Cabelas had the pulled bullets last catalog I got. Might do a search for pulled tracer bullets in your search engine.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.