Author Topic: Place to hunt deer  (Read 1403 times)

Offline bronco73401

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
Place to hunt deer
« on: July 23, 2008, 03:49:30 PM »
I live in Ardmore and I haven't had much luck in deer hunting. Does anyone know of a good place to go in Southern OK? Public hunting places are ok. Any help would be appreciated.
NRA Member
USAF Desert Storm Veteran

Offline okieshooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • shoot for the moon, land in the stars
Re: Place to hunt deer
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 04:47:31 AM »
I live 45 miles south of McAlester which puts me about 3 hours from Ardmore but we have some public land left. The only problem now you must buy a permit to access and it is like $60 or $80. Best solution I found is a 40,000 acre lease for $600 a year and there are just over 100 of us in it. Last m/l season I let 11 bucks walk in 6 days before killing one. It is nice hunting and getting better every year. We may still have some openings and 600 covers you , wife ,and kids under 18.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline jwv

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 03:39:04 PM »
Okieshooter, I would be interested in learning more about the hunting lease and where it is located at? Is it near Antlers, Okla.? Is it a deer only lease? Is there any other restrictions or rules?   Thanks, Jack
ObamaCare-----When injustice becomes law resistance becomes duty.     Thomas Jefferson

Offline mattmillerrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 07:36:09 PM »
that sounds like a great lease and at a decent price too.

Offline okieshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 08:54:28 AM »
We are 25-30 miles from Antlers. No dogs on hogs but can kill during hunting season. ;) Campers out 2 weeks after season close and you have access year round for camping ,fishing,turkey,squirrel. It is a really good deal. I hunted here all my life and now have to pay  :obut it is that or let out of towners take it all from us. If interested I can send info on who to contact about getting in.
By the way I do not mind out of town people just a lot of people here will not pay to lease and if some of us don't we will lose the whole thing to others that will.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline jwv

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 03:17:29 PM »
Okieshooter, Thanks for the reply, You got a PM coming your way. Thanks Jack
ObamaCare-----When injustice becomes law resistance becomes duty.     Thomas Jefferson

Offline okieshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 03:17:37 AM »
pm 'd ya back. 1st one so if you don't get it let me know and I will try again.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline backstrap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 03:34:11 PM »
Okie shooter u have it maid,up here where i live in northern okla north of enid on the state line these farmes are geting 10 bucks a acer,thats 1600 for a quater of farm and pasture ground,and they pay for the wheat ground thats sarounds the draw or pasture, it is unreal here all these farmers are leaseing there ground out it is hard for me a local guy that grew up here all my life,to find deer hunting ground,if u have money come on up there is ground up here to lease, the farmer i hunt on he hunts to but with the last 2 past years of drout and to wet last year these small farmers are have hard time makeing it and he made it sound like after last year deer season he was going to have to lease his ground for the extra 5000 dollers he would get of his ground i will just have to see,i am not going to pay to hunt deer it that simple, if u okies need to hunt get a hlod of the ESC  Edmond Sporting Club they hunt all over up here, and other states as well,what started this lease thing up here is Texans comeing up here to hunt didnt start tell they showed up offering the land owners money to keep people out so they could be theonly people on the ground other than the land owner, so Okieshooter u got 1 hell of a deal
1 shot 1 kill

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 03:47:00 AM »
You might look into buying some land out in the middle of nowhere. I bought 60 acres of good hunting land, paying 300 dollars an acre in rough oak tree country.  $150. a month for ten years.  Nice deer all over the place, turkeys and a few feral hogs too and a squirrel crop reachin unbelievable proportions.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline blacknwhite

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 03:35:05 PM »
Rickt, what county is your piece in? That's a pretty good price. I did the same and just bought a small piece and do a lot of hunting on it, although i do have other larger areas leased.

Offline okieshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 07:49:05 AM »
I agree on the Texan comment. Nothing against anyone but mountain land here is $1000 an acre if you buy a section at a time and about $2000 to $2500 for small pieces 5 to 40 acres. The cheapest I have found is $110,000 for 120 acres and everyone raised here is too poor to afford that. Downfall here is poaching, i know 1 guy and his son killed 16 bucks in JULY. Makes it harder on me trying to do it all legal and put one on the wall and I know his freezer won't hold that much so it is a waste.
Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 05:31:05 AM »
My place is in Haskell county.  Prices may have gone up a bit since I paid my property off 5 years ago.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.