Author Topic: the MTTI findings  (Read 636 times)

Offline striker525

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
the MTTI findings
« on: August 27, 2008, 07:49:15 AM »
MTT (Mountain Top Technologies) Computer models examined projectiles when fired at four different angles of elevation: 35, 10, 5, and 0 degrees. At 35 degrees of angle above the ground for example , the 30-06 travels nearly 14,000 feet while the sabot goes 10,378 feet. at 10 degrees and 5 degree angles the total range Initial plus ricochet distance) is still high for the rifle bullet. Yet at a 10degree angle the .50cal sabot (slug) ricochets 949 feet, and the 06 only 702 feet. at 5 degrees the 06 ricochets 1,239 feet and the sabot travel 1747 feet.
Additionally the report notes, "After hitting the ground at shallow angles of impact, the rifle bullet ricochet tends to tumble in flight, creating a high drag, whereas the shotgun slugs maintain more of their energy and aerodynamics properties and therefore travel further".
Most Hunters either shoot down from a treestand or obey ethical shooting practices by not shooting skylined animals and by making certain they have they have a secure backstop. Hunters, even by accident, rarely shoot a bullet much above parallel to the ground. for example, a hunter to aim five degrees over a deer standing at 100 yards, he would have to aim 26feet above the deer. So most shots are at or near parallel to the ground, and shotgun slugs ricochet much further at these low angles. This is why this study found the rationale for creating shotgun-only areas dubious.

Does anyone know if this will ever effect us here in Ohio?????? I, for one, sure as hell hope the legislators in this state would dig their heads out and pay attention to what we the people want.

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
Re: the MTTI findings
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 09:21:33 AM »
I don't think that it will make a diffrence as the boys on the hill just don't hunt or shoot , you can show them the numbers all day and they still will have no idea what their looking at .  ???

The good part is the numbers show what we have been saying all along .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped