Author Topic: Hopkins & Allen...  (Read 1093 times)

Offline jk3006

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Hopkins & Allen...
« on: September 22, 2008, 01:42:01 PM »
A coworker of mine recently inherited a .38 revolver from his mother, whose father used it (policeman) back in the 30's (I think). 

Since I am only somewhat familiar with the modern wheel guns and therefore not much help to him, he'd like a little help in identifying what this gun was all about (approx. value, any interesting tidbits on it).

The markings on it are as follows:  .38 caliber, 1901 Hopkins & Allen, Forehand model, serial # is b4589.
It has a break-open action.

Thanks

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Hopkins & Allen...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 12:56:31 AM »
jk3006 - sounds like a Hopkins and Allen in 38 Smith and Wesson, not 38 Special. The top break revolvers are not the strongest in the world but the 38 Smith and Wesson is also not the most powerful handgun in the world either.  The current ammunition offerings for this small revolver are limited to a 146 gn bullet at modest velocities and for this particular revolver such is appropriate.

Considering the history of this firearm I think the value would be more as an heirloom for the family.  If the grandfather was a policeman the handgun probably has more family value than collector value. 

I would not shoot this revolver until I had a competent gunsmith check it over.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 03:22:44 AM »
I can't tell you anything about that particular model. Hopkins & Allen made tons of relatively cheap revolvers in many different models in .22, .32 & .38 caliber. They were generally what we call "Saturday night specials" since they were often encountered at the pool hall, poker game or beer joint. They were the type of gun that would work, more or less, for a while but parts were small and soft and they would quickly loosen up from shooting. If still in pretty good shape it might be worth a hundred bucks or so.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline jk3006

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 08:04:03 AM »
What's the difference between the .38 special and .38 S&W?  I did take a brief look at the gun, and it's definitely seen quite a bit of use due to the finish being very marred.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 02:42:03 AM »
They are totally different cartridges. The .38 S&W was originally a black powder round introduced in 1877. Factory loaded ammo is still available but now with smokeless powder. It uses a bullet of slightly larger diameter than the .38 Special, .361", whereas the .38 special uses a .357" bullet and was first introduced around 1902. The .38 S&W is a shorter round of less power and was a popular pocket pistol cartridge prior to the introduction of small .38 special revolvers.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline jk3006

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 06:45:49 AM »
Ok, thanks for that info.  I'll let him know.