Author Topic: 450 Marlin...  (Read 524 times)

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
450 Marlin...
« on: September 05, 2008, 06:42:32 AM »
There is a 450 Marlin in the local pawn shop, they want $175 for it and it looks dang near brand new, with a Bushnell scope, and I probably could get it for cheaper.  The guy probably shot a box through it and said who would need this.  I have a 45-70 and 500 already but always looking for another boomer.

I reload and cast my own bullets so ammo wouldnt be a problem.  What type of accuracy could a guy expect from this rifle.
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: 450 Marlin...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 07:37:08 AM »
If you reload you could tame it to a nice hunting gun for down south.  I shot a Marlin in .450 Marlin, and it was not a pleasant experience.  You do not say if the gun is a marlin or a Handi.  If it is a Handi, I'm not too sure I would want to shoot it often.  At least not with factory loads.  I shoot big magnums all the time, so I am not sensitive to recoil, but I have to say the .450 Marlin rocked me pretty hard.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 07:55:20 AM »
I have a 450 also.
With factory loads I didn't think it was much worse than a hot 06 or my BC 45-70 with PMC 350gr loads.
Something about the way a Handy is made they just don't seem to beat you up as bad as other brands.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline dk17hmr

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 08:41:01 AM »
Its a a Handi, well Ultra Hunter.  Seems intersting enough, I dont like the price of brass though, $42 for 50.  Granted that would be a 1 time purchase because chances are it wont be a high volume shooter.  I would really like to hear what type accuracy they are capable of.
Doug
.................................................. ........................................

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline Tunaman

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 10:08:34 AM »
not to be a  smart a** but they are capable of one hole or 6 inch shotgun pattern just like any other gun.

Offline bishopgrandpa

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 01:19:59 PM »
Mine is one of the better shooting NEF's that I have. Slugs out at .4585 and has a decent recoil pad. Most of the time it outshoots my 22" and is good as the Wesson & Harrington BC. You will enjoy it. Don't listen to the horror stories. Shoot it and make up your own mind. Everyone percieves recoil different.  Enjoy.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 03:22:32 PM »
I just bought one a month or so ago. Paid more than 175$ How can you go wrong? Buy it!!!!!!!
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline iceking02

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 04:26:19 PM »
Mind you this is from a Win94 in .450Marlin...but last Saturday I put a 325gr LeverEvolution bullet right into the head of a small blacktail deer at 173yds. Yes, this surprised me as I was aiming for the base of the skull/neck junction and forgot that the LE bullets shoot a couple of inches higher than my 350gr Kodiak bonded bullets. Not that it mattered, but it made for a no-picture deer. Thankfully my daughter was not along for this hunt.

I'd suspect that you can accurize this cartridge to <2MOA on a routine basis with a scope or fine aperature sights. Better results are possible it you have the patience. Even so, the chest shot on most deer requires nothing more than like 8MOA, right? You CAN'T LOSE for $175...just sell the darn thing if you don't like it and give someone else a "shot".

IceKing02

Offline dk17hmr

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 05:51:18 PM »
I bought it and got it for $180 out the door.

Went down to a local Outdoor shop and bought a box of LeverEveloutions.  This sucker does have some recoil.  But even a little jump from the recoil, and with only sandbags I put 5 into a 2.5" group at 100 yards, not bad for the first time out with it and not having all my range year.

I will say that after 10 shots with this critter, my shoulder is still tender.  Also it isnt a gun for laying down a bunch of rounds off the bench with.

Should make a heck of a deer rifle.
Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 06:04:16 PM »
Go have a SIMMS recoil pad put on it and you will be amazed how much better it fells.
I did and it made a world of difference.
It also did wonders on my WINCHESTER 1300 syn stock shooting #4 buck 3" mags.
Really tamed it down.
Give one a try and let us know what you think.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07