Author Topic: My view on the Barrel Accessory Program.  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
My view on the Barrel Accessory Program.
« on: September 06, 2008, 09:01:03 AM »
At first I though this was a fantastic deal.  I could have a cheap gun with the same capabilities as my T/C TCR, or Encore.  I sent my first 30-06 back and had a shotgun barrel and a .223 barrel fitted to the frame.  I thought it made a great extra gun for Moose camp.  Use the shotgun barrel for grouse, then when someone needed a rifle due to an accident or broken gun, we had a spare.  Did not work out that way.   
After a while I decided it was too much trouble to change the barrels out constantly, so I bought other complete guns in those calibers, and I have gotten rid of the extra barrels.

Then I got my son a .243, and had a muzzle loader barrel fitted as well as a 45-70.  My son found a NEF 30-30 at a gun show that had a damaged barrel.  He bought it and his muzzle loader barrel fit it.  Now he has his .50 cal BP and a 45-70, and never changes the barrels.  His .243 barrel sits in his vault all but forgotten. 

Changing barrels changes point of impact so I don't like doing that anymore.  Once I get a gun tuned and sighted in I don't change nothing.  I want to be confident that I know exactly where that bullet is going to hit from 50 to 500 yards.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great program, but I no longer want those extra barrels myself.

I got to counting yesterday, after getting rid of almost all my extra NEF/H&R barrels, l still have 37 extra barrels total, mostly for T/Cs and various shotguns.  My wife came out, saw all those barrels on the bench.  For the first time she said something about all my guns, "I think you need to start cleaning house Buba". 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: My view on the Barrel Accessory Program.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 10:36:32 AM »
I agree, I wouldn't trust my Handis for hunting without test firing after a barrel swap or barrel removal for cleaning.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Tencubed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 12:04:50 PM »
Interesting.  I have come to the same conclusion after buying a 17 HMR and having 22 Mag and LR barrels fitted.  Should have just bought complete rifles.  This is what I intend to do in the future if I buy any more Handi's.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 01:26:20 PM »
LOL Tim has had this figured out long ago. ;D  I'm drawing the same conclusion.

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 01:32:46 PM »
Yup, but I also bought several frames then sent them in for accessory barrels in chamberings that I had to have to add to the collection.....44 complete H&R firearms and counting, I have no extra frames or loose barrels at this time. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 04:33:49 PM »
I like Tim buy extra frames to send in for barrels for rechambering or to get the ones that they do not sell as complete rifles anymore .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Tencubed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 05:14:31 PM »
Well,   :-[  , some of us are just a little slow on catching on.   :'(

But I'm not totally slow,  I'm about half/fast.   ;D

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 07:35:06 PM »
I only have two Handi rifles, both barrels are deticated and fitted only to one individual action and forearm. I never take them apart unless there is something wrong. On a Handi I don't believe in interchangeable barrels and scopes. One barrel one action. Frigging around with interchangeable barrels would drive me nuts.

Besides when you bed a barrel into the action with "Decon Steel Putty" another barrel may or may not fit. Each barrel, forearm and action is a solid contained system fitted to each other, that is the only way to assure accuracy.

I have two benchrest barrels for one BR action and one scope for each barrel with each its own dovetail rings, when switching barrels and using a sighted in scope they never shoot in exactly in the same place. They are close but need to be sighted in after each switch.
The action is pillar bedded and torqued and not removed from the stock.

Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 02:41:21 AM »
I haven't noticed any significant change in Point of Impact by removing a barrel and reinstalling it.... I would like to have one frame for all of my barrels because i find it a hassle to swap it over...It only takes 5 min, but i like to grab a gun and go....

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 04:00:26 AM »
I have been dedicating barrels to frames also about the only ones that are not totally dedicated are a few smooth bore shotgun bbl's and they are not as critical to the change. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"