Author Topic: Floating for Moose  (Read 790 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Floating for Moose
« on: September 05, 2008, 07:25:15 AM »
Went to a slough that is close to the house last evening.  Took my Handi 45-70 this time, my partner took his Marlin 45-70.  My buddy wanted to humor me so he went along.  He did not believe we would see any Moose this close to home.  There is places where we are only 40 yards from the 4 lane divided highway, with lots of interstate type noise.  And an Air Force base just across the highway, with tankers flying over real low after takeoff.  After we started floating he started noticing all the trails coming into the slough from the woods.  Moose sign everywhere, and fresh too.  We actually started a little too early.  Just at dusk the cows started coming out of the woods and feeding in the water.  The babies stood on shore watching Mama.  We took guns with open sites, and you know the bulls did not come out till it was too dark to shoot without a good light gathering scope.  We saw five bulls, and one looked like a big one.  It was too dark, and too far away, to really tell without a scope. 

Now my partner is all excited, we are going back tonight.  I'm taking my 30-06, with the Nikon scope, don't know what he is taking.  He said it looks like we may be making a 300 yard shot, so be prepared for that.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Floating for Moose
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 08:08:45 AM »
OK Sourdough (by the way, great Governor you have up there!!), I am now going to be checking in to hear "the rest of the story". I would think that could be within the next 24 hours if all goes well. Good Luck....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Tunaman

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 10:40:18 AM »
Best of luck w the hunt, and I couldn't agree more about the Gov.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 11:35:47 AM »
I always look forward to your hunting stories, with this one not being an exception. Speaking of Moose, a local radio talk show host was very excited about Sarah Palin. He kept going on about "She knows how to dress out a Moose, how many women do you know that can do that?" He kept bringing it up over and over. ;D ;D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 02:35:53 PM »
Wishing you a great hunt.  Sadly, our moose are not plentiful enough yet for anything but watching, but we still enjoy them.  Hopefully, well get to put them on the table before too long.  Let us know how it goes.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 03:18:25 PM »
Makes me wish I could be there with you!! Good luck
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 08:08:12 AM »
We floated again last night.  Right off the bat, 60 yards from where we put in we ran across a Mama and Baby.  We slowly drifted by without spooking, them and tied off about 100 yards down stream.  From where we were sitting we could see the first Mama and Baby.  then down stream we could see two more cows with calves farther downstream.  About 150 yards and 300 yards.  Then as we sat there another cow with calf came out of the woods just 40 yards away.  I was holding the raft between two old snags out in the stream, so we blended in pretty well.  The cow paid no attention to us.  She came out into the water and started eating the plants off the bottom in two to three feet of water.  The calf stayed on the bank.  At first it was no problem, but the cow started working her way up stream.  Soon she was getting close about 15 yards and baby was moving up the bank.  This would soon put us between the two, which is not a good thing.  I started squeezing a rodent squeaker which did not upset her too much, but made her take notice.  Then we moved around a little so she could see the movement.  She ran back to baby and headed into the brush.  We cut loose and continued to drift.  We saw a total of nine Cow and Baby Moose last night.  We saw what we thought was a lone bull, but it did not come out of the brush till after it was too dark to shoot.  We drifted on down in the dark and came home.  We will give it another try Monday or Tuesday night.  In addition to the Moose we saw one Coyote, one Beaver, three Bald Eagles, and two Mink.  And the Grayling were jumping all around us the entire trip.  It was cool enough last night that a wool jacket felt good, and finally no Mosquitoes.

My partner is just blown away with how many Moose we are seeing, this close to our homes.  Every cow has a calf as well, which means there has to be bulls in the area.  And right next to the highway, and the sound of traffic pretty much cover up any sound we make.  There is a screening line a spruce trees that hide the slough from the highway, people on the highway don't know there is a stream that close.  My partner has driven this section of road every work day for the last twenty years and never knew this stream was there.  The Moose always come from the opposite side of the stream, so the proximity to the highway is no problem.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 01:58:52 PM »
Best of luck to the both of you over the bext few days. Many of us will be there with you through your posts ( and wishing we were REALLY there)....<><....;)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 02:43:53 AM »
I'm just going to sit here reading with a lot of jealousy...lol...Goodluck

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 01:38:50 PM »
I surveyed for the highway department in the early 1970s, and one project I was on was the "Moose Creek to Boondocks" section.  At the time the four lane ended at North Pole.  We came on the job one day and the younger Zwarthout (his dad was running the job for Green Construction) had bagged a smallisher bull just across from the Moose Creek bluffs.  They picked it up with a front end loader to clean it, then deposited it in his truck.

Thanks for the memories!

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline JonnyC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 02:23:16 PM »
WOW- and to think some in the lower 48 get excited when they see a dairy cow and calf. You are in heaven.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 03:44:46 PM »
I thought Moose was dairy cow of Alaska :) Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"