Author Topic: Shipwreck Cannons  (Read 473 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Shipwreck Cannons
« on: September 08, 2008, 02:19:15 PM »
PBS History Detectives in about an hour 7PM MT Time.  Shipwreck cannons

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Shipwreck Cannons
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 03:30:40 PM »
Dang!  I just logged on and saw this ran over to the TV and our three pbs stations are not showing this here in Va....  :(
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 03:37:54 PM »
Not here, either.

Our local PBS station is having their fund drive, so we get a Celine Dion special instead.

:P

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 05:27:33 PM »
I found the second article interesting, to say the least, in light of my recent experience with the Navy and their total lack of interest in preserving the priceless cannons they have in the Washington Navy Yard.

“If the cannon turns out to be from the USS Shark, I foresee that the Navy and the state of Oregon would work together to preserve these guns and see that they are properly displayed and interpreted,” Neyland said.

The Navy’s interest now, he said, is seeing that the guns are properly handled and conserved.

Neyland said Oregon is correctly keeping the concretions, or encrustations, intact until an expert can remove them, and keeping the cannons covered in changing baths of water. He said the concretions can contain valuable archaeological matter.

He said they ultimately must be kept indoors and that the Navy would have a say about whether they went on loan to other museums.

State agencies are working with the Navy to determine the guns’ futures. Not many people are in the cannon restoration trade. But the Conversation Research Lab at Texas A&M has restored 22 over the past 10 years.

(and this guy Neyland works for the same Navy  I've been trying to talk to-go figger!)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 06:04:56 PM »
I thought of you John when I saw that.  Have you talked to that guy by the way?

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 08:31:46 PM »
I've been waiting for over a month for this episode to play. It was worth the wait. We had the fundraiser
going in our neck of the woods, too. The show was delayed about 1/2 an hour. Maybe it will be shown
again in the future.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 09:47:53 PM »
Have you talked to that guy by the way?

Nope don't know where he works.  If he's here in Washington he might be of some help, if not he won't.