Author Topic: My Chemotherapy Is Done!  (Read 599 times)

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
My Chemotherapy Is Done!
« on: September 08, 2008, 12:41:50 PM »
My Chemotherapy Is Over!
Well, kind of…I am still wearing a belt pack pump that will administer the drugs till Wednesday but that is it. The short story is that I was diagnosed with colon Cancer in Feb of this year and had Surgery in March and began the Chemotherapy in April. They got me cleaned up good as there was no mastification but there was a lymph node near the tumor that had those cancer cells. They were basically saying that I was cancer free (as per cat scans) and the Chemo was necessary for what might be microscopic and also because of an artery that runs from the small intestines straight to the liver.

This is one of the hardest things that I have ever been through as it hit me like a truck. The chemo is basically a poison that will kill those bad cancerous cells but it kills good ones also. This made for a lot of sickness and feeling worn out in general. In the beginning I was having around seven good days (as far as feeling good) out of a 14 day treatment cycle. The chemo is cumulative though (read that it snowballs) and the number of good days dwindled down to five good days and is currently three days out of 14 that I feel well enough to leave the house and do something. The thing is that I was just get to where I was feeling ok then it was time for another treatment.

Other issues are nero/muscular as I can have temporary paralysis and numbness and have dead feeling limbs in general. Pain killers are needed for the treatment day and a couple days after words because my bone marrow and limbs can hurt very badly in general. Most food taste very very bad (read too bad to eat) and I have stayed on a limited diet of just a few items.

This Is Not A Pity Me Post!  This Is A Post Of Celebration!

I have basically been a shut-in but now have a bad case of cabin fever and am raring to go.I have applied for and received the deer permits and still have been able to get some shooting in on those good days. I have even got some Squirrel hunting in as well as clearing out the shooting lanes near the deer stand but have to start early and go slowly. I would expect to feel much better by the end of Sept but it may take up to six months to gain endurance and muscle mass back as I have lost 45lbs.
Medical wise, I will still need to get and IV port implant removed from just underneath the skin of my left collar bone and will need a cat scan done after six months to insure that there is no new growths. Your prayers are appreciated for a clean report.

Graybeard: I cannot express my thanks enough for this forum. You just don’t know how much it can mean to a shut-in. It is still addictive though, I think that I went from .3 post daily before the illness and then on up to a .8 when I was feeling well enough to sit up in a chair.
THANKS!

Offline williamlayton

Re: My Chemotherapy Is Done!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 12:53:56 PM »
Great news---the Lord blessed.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 12:57:51 PM »
Very good news!! You can be assured that you have all our prayers for a clean report in six months. Now get strong enough to go deer hunting and best of luck!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 01:22:51 PM »
Congratulations!  And welcome to the survivors club.  I'm to the point now I could stand to lose 45lbs but I'll be damned if it is worth going through such treatment again. ???

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 01:27:48 PM »
Congratulations!

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 02:04:26 PM »
Congrats!!!!!!!!! I wish you and yours the best. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 02:14:45 PM »
Prayer sent!
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 03:50:08 PM »
Praise God.  I hope and pray that you will stay cancer free. Having lost several loved ones to cancer myself it's good to hear of someone who is winning the battle.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline kebs

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 03:52:17 AM »
Congradulations!  My Dad went through it 2 years ago.  My Favorite picture I have of him is at my wedding.  He was opening a gift from my wife an I;  he is totally hairless.  He did his last chemo a week before the wedding. 

Offline Ponydog

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 04:36:55 AM »
Wishing and praying for you ......keep up the Good Fight....
“when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government.”

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 04:50:32 AM »
Good news.  God Bless You and will keep you in prayer.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 10:44:09 AM »
I know it's no fun....got the shirt, got the hat.  I'm really happy you're going to be well for deer season.  My cancer isn't the issue this fall, it's still there, but o.k. for now.  The cataract comes off the eye on the 25th and I'll be happy to see through a scope again.  God bless you.  Get better quick.  Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 02:01:12 AM »
Thanks for all replys...I have heard other patients (in my position) at the clinic happily state that they were about through with treatment but then have heard others remark (For Right Now) in thier weary reply. These people are not really being mean but may have undergone Five To Eight Years of chemo!
It seems that the drugs & techniques support a lot of cases where the Cancer can be held in check for long periods if not indefinate. I hear that the Erbitux is especially good as one patient had a heavy concentration of the cancer cells in the liver and one treatment of this stuff killed 85% of those cells. As part of the research group I recieved five treatments of the Eribitux but it ended up swelling both my eyes shut so they took me off of it. I believe that I have recieved 19 treatments total and know that this stuff is doing something cause it has knocked my socks off! My outlook is bright though for a full recovery as mine was mainly a precaution of what may be there in microscopic form as said.
Thanks For Your Support!

Offline jhm

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 03:02:50 AM »
Its always great news to hear when someone beats the hell out of CANCER, I went thru the Chemo/radiation treatment a few years ago and it is a joy to be compleated with, congradulations again!!!   Jim

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 12:50:55 PM »
never had it but many family members have and i admire you for the fighter you must be. God bless
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are