Author Topic: Cleaning your cannon  (Read 683 times)

Offline rays89

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Cleaning your cannon
« on: September 10, 2008, 01:41:50 AM »
I have been Birchwood Casey NO77 Black Powder solvent and the bottle is quickly getting empty. What would be a better cheaper alternative I can use when the bottle runs dry?  The stuff goes fast and I don't want my artillery peices to corrode. Thanx in advance on you answers
                Ray

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: Cleaning your cannon
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 02:02:27 AM »
hot water and dish washing liquid .

the more and hotter water the better .

when its still hot and dry you just grease it with ball bearing grease
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 03:36:42 AM »
     Ray,  Dan is right; we use dishwashing liquid soap on all our cannons with plenty of HOT WATER and cleaning is easy.

We use WD-40 to keep rust off after drying the cannon all over unless we will put it away for 6 months or more, then we use a gun grease of any type.  We never have rust on any cannon with this method.  IT WORKS!!

Regards,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 03:13:04 AM »
 I use plain old cold tap water for my cannons/mortars. I dry them with compressed air and spray/wipe them with birchwood-casey "sheath."

I've been using the B-C sheath for about 10 years now without a speck of rust on any of my firearms. Forms a thin waxy coating that smells nice :)

I'm still chisling WD-40 out of some of my Dad's old rifles; it turns into a varnish-like substance over time. Pops used to hose his guns down with the stuff. I still use it for a quick wipe-down in a pinch (It does prevent rust), but I'm careful not to get it inside of anything where it can't be cleaned out easily...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 05:15:24 AM »
   I'm in with the hot water and liquid dish soap but stay away from any dish soap that claims to smooth or help preserve the smoothness of the skin on hands because it's going to have some unwanted additives in it.

I'll go along with Victor on the Water-Displacement No. 40, I use it for a quick cover on the range or in the field but when I get to do the proper cleaning of whatever I fired I'll end up putting a good coating of any high quality gun oil in the bore and on the surface. Right now I've got a couple bottles of Shooter's Choice FP-10 that I've been using and it works fine as a lubricant and rust preventative.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 05:39:33 AM »
Up here in the northern wilds of the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia I go to the local dollar store and get a gallon
of generic window wash w/ammonia. I tip the mortar barrel up, plug the vent and swab it thoroughly, dump it
out and repeat a 2nd time. Take the plug from the vent and clean it with a .17 brush. Dry it out completely and
spray with WD-40. Works for me.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 07:27:24 AM »
in steel maybe its good , BUT DONT USE ANYTHING WITH AMONIA IN BRONZE CANNONS .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 05:52:08 AM »
Ballistol - cleans, lubes, rust protects. can be diluted (1/10) with water to clean with, or use straight to rust protect untill the next shooting session.

www.ballistol.com

For long term rust protection (over the winter), I use lithium grease in a spray can inside the bore, and Boeshield www.boeshield.com on the outside (metal and wood)

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 02:40:19 AM »
Really hot water and most any liquid dish soap... costs very little and works great.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)