Author Topic: Spotting scope?  (Read 811 times)

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
Spotting scope?
« on: May 23, 2008, 11:39:47 AM »
Have a need for a spotting scope to only be used at the range.  Any recommendations.  Have looked at Leupolds, but seem pricey for range use.
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Spotting scope?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 12:17:29 PM »
Bushnell Elite. Mine is the 20-60x80mm and it is without a doubt the finest spotting scope I've ever seen and looked thru. It's honking huge but man that huge 80mm objective brings in the light and it is so clear and bright you just can't believe it if you've looked thru other lesser spotting scopes. If there is a better one I cannot imagine what would make it better.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 05:58:48 AM »
thanks,GB.
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 06:01:58 AM »
Celestron makes a real nice scope for not a lot of money if you're looking for something not too expensive. ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,117760.msg1098384244.html#msg1098384244
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 11:27:54 AM »
I have a Busnell 20-60 x 60mm Vari-Power scope that works very well.It's crystal clear at all power settings.The only thing I don't like about it is the eyepiece is fixed at 180 and not at a 90 right angle..........Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Sitting Duck

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 04:53:50 AM »
Celestron makes a real nice scope for not a lot of money if you're looking for something not too expensive. ;)

Tim
Quickdtoo:  You wrote the following recommendation "Check out the Celestron Ultima 65 and 80, I have the 80, it's more scope than you'll get for at least twice the money. ;) It's $175-$200 here in the states."

The Celestron Ultima 80 currently can be had for $178 with paid shipping.  I'm interested in this model (because my two scope end-to-end experiment failed ;D) and would like to know more about detail (.224 holes) at 200-400 yards with this product.

The environment will be Arizona with very, bright sunny days if that makes a difference.

TIA for any info.   

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 05:11:00 AM »
I haven't personally used it past 200yds, but .17 holes can be seen at that range, I bought mine after reading the review by Sam Spade.  ;)

Tim

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f23/celestron-ultima-80-spotting-scope-12323/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Sitting Duck

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 07:36:42 AM »
Thank you, for the first hand info.

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 02:38:56 PM »
I was going to get the Celestron 20x60x80 for around $170 but I found one quite abit cheaper at $129 to my house door, that come from Bushnell! It's a 20x60x80 water proof, fog proof, life time warrenty, rubber coated and get this- fully Multi-Coated lenes, stand and hard- soft cases. Well the invoice said Bushnell, it's a TAsco World Class spotting scope. I got this yesterday and it has very clear bright optics out to the egdes on all powers. Hey Sitting Duck that ducks not sitting!
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline jgalar

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 04:17:15 AM »
I have a Swift that works well for range use. I don't recall the model number and its kinda buried under stuff right now. Swift scopes are very popular with bird watchers.