Author Topic: Found a $45 Pardner!  (Read 1741 times)

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Found a $45 Pardner!
« on: June 06, 2008, 10:35:06 AM »
Found it in a Pawn Shop no less.  I stopped on Thursday to see if they had anything on the shelves and there it was.  I had an appointment so I waited until after lunch to come back and they were closed.  So I got it today (Friday).  It shows little wear, not even the shinny end of the hinge pin but showed neglect.  Rust was sprinkled all over it but a quick rub down with oil brought out the case hardening on the frame.  The barrel is a little worse for rust and there is a brown residue in the serial number and markings on the left side that made me wonder if it might have been painted at one time.  No matter its a clean-up project for me for no more money then taking the family out to dinner.  $49 after sales tax.  I just couldn't pass it up.

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
Re: Found a $45 Pardner!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 11:05:28 PM »
Good deal.  Congrats.  ;)

Pawn shop are great places to shop for deals.  Especially "clean-up" projects.

Enjoy!

:)

Offline kernman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 01:36:40 PM »
Jpshaw:

Wow. what a steal? I would have grabbed it too. I live in California, where in gun shops they are selling used as much as new ones.

I haven't looked in pawn shops. Maybe I need to start doing that.

Is it a 12 gauge? I would especially have grabbed it if it were 20 guage.

Are you gonna make this a project gun?

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 03:01:19 AM »

Is it a 12 gauge? I would especially have grabbed it if it were 20 guage.

Are you gonna make this a project gun?

Its a 12 gauge with 28 inch modified barrel which matches my first H&R Mod 158 Topper except the Topper had the 2 3/4 inch chamber and this newer one has the 3 inch.  There is something about 5 1/2 pd 12 gauges and 3 inch shells that don't match for me.  I will stick with 2 3/4 inch and mostly low brass at that.  My favorite load for the older one was 1 ounce low brass field loads by Revelation.  As a project gun I will leave the barrel as is but really might cut the stock to a straight stock pattern.

Offline Flingarrows

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 07:03:56 AM »
nice find   ;D

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 08:11:17 AM »
great find, there is something about straight stocks and a field shotguns that just seems to go together. The fast handling and fast target acquisition they seem to offer work great while out hunting. I am using more and more on my shotguns and my rifles now as well. I recently re-configured a Monte Carlo to a straight stock and did a little (very little) shaping of the rear of the Monte Carlo cheek piece. I wanted to see if I could come somewhere close to a Shutzen style stock for my coyote/long distance .223 that wears a scope. It came out great and works even better, on the range at least. I will not get  to use it for coyotes in this configuration for a couple of more months...Best of luck....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 04:07:58 AM »
I haven't got around to the stock yet but when I do I will post a pic.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 02:34:27 PM »
Finished the stock with a little help from Fred. Stimpy and MSP ret on the FAQ.  Used Minwax walnut stain after shaping and sanding plus 7 coats of linseed oil.  There are some imperfections in the wood but it just gives it character.  The straight stock makes it look a lot longer.

http://www.shaw-photography.com/08-007-001W.jpg

Offline kernman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 02:50:16 AM »
Wow, you really stole that gun!

I just paid about, what, $70 (including shipping) just to get a 20 gauge rifled barrel fitted from the factory.

I wish now I woulda checked the pawn shops first.

I'm going to have to start looking in those places more often now.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 03:06:36 AM »
jp

Nice job on the stock , and an even better deal on the gun , around here the pawn shops want new or higher price .

One had a old Topper 410 and wanted $135 plus tax .  :o

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 03:12:55 AM »
You gotta wonder how they can ask that much for a gun that Walmart sells new for $117.00.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 06:23:59 AM »
swampman

That was over a year ago and its still there , I asked about a week ago if they would take any less and their responce was -- NO

This just proves that you can't fix STUPID

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 06:35:29 AM »
You gotta wonder how they can ask that much for a gun that Walmart sells new for $117.00.

Finding a Walmart that still sells firearms is the trick, there are 6 stores in the Vancouver/Portland area, one still sells em. :-\ BiMart has all of their Pardners on sale this week for $99.99.

Nice job on the refinish jpshaw, looks better than new!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 01:32:44 PM »
Nice job and great find! I check our local pawn shops occasionally, I will have to do it more often. The last time I picked up a 16 ga Pardner and I think it was around $80.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 01:37:23 PM »
Nice job on the refinish. I'm a huge fan of straight grip stocks myself. Once I tried them I've found that I really don't like pistol grips anymore. I have them on my .357 and my daughter has youth straight grip stocks on her Versa Pack. MSP Ret was nice enough to cut my 20 gauge Pardner pistol grip into a straight grip for me.

I recently tried to cut a pistol grip into a straight grip myself but I butchered it while sanding it. It was a good learning experience, though.
My woodworking skills leave much to be desired.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 02:53:20 PM »
how bad is that "butchered" stock. It might be salvagable. Can you post a good picture of the bad areas of it? I think I know someone who might be willing to work on it to try to save it for you for a cup of coffee some day....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 05:35:24 AM »
I'll take some picture of it tonight Andy, thanks.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 08:45:14 AM »
 Nice job.

I went to a pawn shop auction last year. Handis were selling $125.00. I wanted one for stocks, sooo I went 2 blocks down and bought one at a different pawn shop $69. I dont get these folks at auctions. Then again, I stopped at the other pawn shop before the auction to do my home work. ;)