Author Topic: Hollywood culture and guns - interesting information  (Read 943 times)

Offline guzzijohn

• Trade Count: (0)
Hollywood culture and guns - interesting information
« on: September 19, 2008, 05:04:18 AM »
Heard this on the radio (local farm news station) the other day, data supposably from ATF records:
1. Hollywood residents have the highest number of firearms per capita.
2. Person with largest number of privately owned firearms in the U.S. is Steven Spielberg.

GuzziJohn

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Hollywood culture and guns - interesting information
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 07:22:41 AM »
That's interesting.
I'd like to see more info and data.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 08:22:42 AM »
While I can't KNOW for certain I REALLY don't believe that info is factual.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 10:16:20 AM »
i thought it was illegal for them to keep records like that...

Offline -Shaggy-

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 01:41:48 PM »
I remember reading Charlton Heston's auotobiography and he said something like " Steven Spielberg has the finest gun collection in California." I have also read several times over the years that he has a huge collection of guns, but tries hard to keep it quiet because of where he lives and works.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 04:02:15 PM »
How many guns do you think he owns? I would think the largest collection in CA would have to be at least over a thousand. I have met ordinary people that have a couple hundred guns. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 03:07:09 AM »
Do  you have the link to that story by any chance?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline jhm

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 03:53:55 AM »
I can believe some of that as THEY think that they are better than anyone else and COLLECTING them raises their STATUS level, Its like fine wine wine but you cant beat a bottle of RIPPLE when nothing else is avail.   JIM

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 02:39:56 AM »
Sorry guys, I do not have any links or other ways to confirm this one way or the other. That is one reason I posted hoping someone on the board could provide something more solid. Just even the thought I found interesting.
GuzziJohn

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 05:03:33 AM »
There might be some truth to this story. Here is a quote I found. Dale

It's also said that Spielberg has the largest private selection of Norman Rockwell paintings in the world and that he has the fire power to protect it too. (His is "the finest gun collection in Southern California," according to Charlton Heston.) He has left in the dust anyone who mocked him as a kid.

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/05.29.97/spielberg-9722.html
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 05:56:56 AM »
Could be true. Quite a few of my friends in Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Brentwood and the surrounding areas have guns. What I don't know is how the information is collected.

Keep in mind that a lot of big money is made behind the camera, not in front of it. For every face you see on screen there are 50 more you don't see. Money equals toys and folks in Hollywood love toys.

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 06:20:06 AM »
I would think it is possible.  I don't even have a 10 gun collection, and I don't want everybody to know about it... I would be extremely quiet about a 1000 gun or better collection.
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 08:37:52 AM »
I have a very good friend who lives near Alpine, TX that has well over a 1000 firearms.  They are out for everone who visits his house to see, his den walls are covered with old Winchesters and Colts.  They are hung everywhere you look throughout the house.  He doesn’t own a safe, and once said anyone that wants to steal his collection is welcome to try.

I have a sizeable collection, but they are (almost all) locked in one of the safes.

As for Hollywood, with the gun laws in Kalifornia, it must be a real pain to own a collection there.  You would almost have to be a Steinberg to afford the permits, I would bet he has one hell-of-an alarm system, and armed guards walking his property

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 01:00:30 PM »
data supposably from ATF records:

The BATFE has no records to support or deny such information. I still say it's gross BS.

There was (now dead so is no more) an old rich man who lived in this area. He had the most extensive collection of guns of all sorts as well as other weapons and even rare art that I've ever seen or heard of. Some of the items he had one either one of one or one of two or three in the entire world the rest being usually in museums. Twice I was priviledged to be able to tour his home and his collections. The Army Depot I worked at used to take high level visitors to the depot to his home for the tour as he was a retired Army Colonel and very friendly to the local Fort and Depot.

I was a mid level manager at the depot myself thus my invitation the first time. The second was at his and his wife's personal invitation as I had told them the first visit my wife would sure have loved to have come with me but at that time the invitation wasn't open to her. They insisted next time a part came to bring her with me and I did.

His collection was so vast that prior to his death he donated it to the city of Anniston, AL with the proviso they build a new museum to house it. They were happy to take him up on it. Now anyone who wishes may see his huge collection of rare guns and art work and all sorts of other things militaria and firearms related.

To be honest I can't imagine who might have a larger collection than this man had and is now in the museum named for him. It's the Farley Berman Museum in Anniston, Alabama. If you're ever in the area you really should visit and see his collection. I've not been and really am remiss in that. I have to wonder if they made room for everything to be on display at once tho as it was in his huge home.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 02:42:48 PM »
data supposably from ATF records:

There was (now dead so is no more) an old rich man who lived in this area. He had the most extensive collection of guns of all sorts as well as other weapons and even rare art that I've ever seen or heard of. Some of the items he had one either one of one or one of two or three in the entire world the rest being usually in museums. Twice I was priviledged to be able to tour his home and his collections. The Army Depot I worked at used to take high level visitors to the depot to his home for the tour as he was a retired Army Colonel and very friendly to the local Fort and Depot.

I was a mid level manager at the depot myself thus my invitation the first time. The second was at his and his wife's personal invitation as I had told them the first visit my wife would sure have loved to have come with me but at that time the invitation wasn't open to her. They insisted next time a part came to bring her with me and I did.

His collection was so vast that prior to his death he donated it to the city of Anniston, AL with the proviso they build a new museum to house it. They were happy to take him up on it. Now anyone who wishes may see his huge collection of rare guns and art work and all sorts of other things militaria and firearms related.

To be honest I can't imagine who might have a larger collection than this man had and is now in the museum named for him. It's the Farley Berman Museum in Anniston, Alabama. If you're ever in the area you really should visit and see his collection. I've not been and really am remiss in that. I have to wonder if they made room for everything to be on display at once tho as it was in his huge home.
Here is some more information on the museum GB was speaking of for anyone interested. Dale

http://www.bermanmuseum.org/aboutUs/
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/585171/make_a_stop_at_the_berman_museum_of.html
http://www.emory.edu/EMORY_MAGAZINE/winter97/fberman.html

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 04:30:31 PM »
That will sure be a stop on my next trip to Talladega. I've made the race trip several times and pretty much run out of side trips. The Allison family, NASA, and now gun collections, my respect for Alabama keeps rising.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 01:46:55 AM »
The "other" museum in Anniston next to the Berman museum is also of world fame. It houses several world reknown collections including the Autoban (sp) bird collection, a pair of mummies from Egypt and a huge African aminal collection from a local world wide hunter. We even have a dinosaur.

They are worth the visit.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125