Author Topic: Alaskan Guide scope's  (Read 842 times)

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Alaskan Guide scope's
« on: October 11, 2008, 05:20:20 PM »
Does anybody know who makes the scope series for Cabelas? The alaskan guide and the pine ridge?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Alaskan Guide scope's
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 06:46:51 AM »
Asked and answered dozens of times. Short answer yes "someone" knows. Longer answer those who know are NOT TALKING. Only those inside the companies involved know and they are not saying.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 07:09:46 AM »
That is about the same answer I am getting..LOL. Just curious about them. Thanks  Drop

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 07:14:00 AM »
If I am not mistaken, I believe the scopes are made by Sightron.  Or, at least they are made by the same people who manufacture the Sightron line of scopes.  I own four of the Alaskan Guide scopes, and a few Sightrons, and they have quite a few things in common.  For one, the power ring adjustment on the Alaskan Guide scopes is virtually identical to the ring selector on the SII Big Sky's.  Also, the windage and elevation turrets on my SII are identical to the ones used certain models of the Alaskan Guide scopes.  My 6.5-20x Cabelas scope uses the same turret adjustments as my fixed 6x42HBR SII and my SII 4-16x, and all three have 1/8" click adjustments.  All are marked "Made in Japan", and both brands share similar power/objective combinations.  One more thing I have noticed, both the Sightron and the Alaskan Guide scopes use the exact same "Nitrogen Gas Port" sticker, and it is mounted in the same exact location on both lines of scopes (on the bottom of the elevation/windage turret housing). 

Now, I am basing this all on the previous line of Alaskan Guide scopes.  The newer XT and Premium series I cannot comment on, as I have not had one of these scopes in my possession.  But if I was a betting man, I would wager that the Alaskan Guide scopes I own were made by the same people who make Sightron scopes.  And I would also wager its safe to say they use the same glass, especially considering all the other components are virtually the same.

I can tell you this, the Alaskan Guide scopes I own are optically fantastic.  I have shot mine on the becn against quite a few other brands, including Burris FFII's, Nikon Monarchs/Buckmasters, Sightrons, and Leupold VXIII's, and they are just as bright and clear. 

"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 08:23:11 AM »
Such scopes are generally made by the low bidder meaning next time they order the same folks might not make them as did last order.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 10:46:24 AM »
Such scopes are generally made by the low bidder meaning next time they order the same folks might not make them as did last order.

Not necessarily.  Typically, there are requirements/specs set forth that the manufacturer (whoever they may be) must abide by.  I would expect that Cabela's would not sell the scopes if they felt the scopes didn't meet their standards.  There is no doubt that Cabela's is farming the work out, just as quite a few other scope brands do, and it may very well be to the "lowest bidder".  Doesn't mean, however, that a quality optic can't be produced and passed on to the consumer.   
"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 01:21:33 AM »
What does that have to do with my statement you quoted? I didn't mention quality at all and it has no bearing on my comments. I'm merely saying they set a requirement and put it out for bid. Whoever bids the lowest to fulfill that requirement gets the contract. Just because one company gets it on one bid doesn't mean they will next time. That doesn't address the quality issue at all and it wasn't my intention to adddress it. In fact since I've never owned or even seen one of them I cannot address the quality of them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125