Author Topic: Water around stand?  (Read 647 times)

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
Water around stand?
« on: August 03, 2003, 12:59:51 AM »
My daughter and I put up a ladder stand last weekend. I think I found a good place for it - there is sign around, and it's back in the woods far enough to get away from all the other hunters. We went back out yesterday to finish up, and there is about 8 - 10 inches of water standing everywhere. Is that the end of that location? Do we need to move it again? It's been raining every afternoon for about a week, and archery season opens August 23. Thanks.

Offline broken arrow

• Trade Count: (0)
Water around stand?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2003, 02:26:09 AM »
If the sign is fresh, and you can get to your stand and be dry and comfortable, it may be a perfect stand location. There is a small marsh in the middle of our farm and if I could get a stand in there, I sure would. If you can get a stand in the last place the deer will expect you it may be the key to harvesting a good one. Deer use all sorts of odd terrain for concealment. They may like that area simply because hunters won't. Good luck. I'd give it a shot. (put up a gamecam.)
"Cowards die many times before their death, The valiant never taste of death but once."

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
Water around stand?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2003, 04:04:40 PM »
Thanks - that's encouraging. Last year on opening day in this area there were about 450 hunters in the woods. With that kind of pressure, I figure it's best to get as far out as possible. I think the water will stop 95% of them from getting back there - I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
Sounds good
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 03:53:45 AM »
be sure you have a good set of waders.  I have stands set back in swampy places and regularly have to wera hip or even chest waders to get to my stands.  Seems I see nice deer , bobcats and hogs back in those hard to reach places the other hunters on the same lease do not see.  Good luck.
markc
markc