Author Topic: Reloading dies  (Read 762 times)

Offline atitagain

• Trade Count: (67)
  • A Real Regular
Reloading dies
« on: September 15, 2008, 03:15:21 PM »
OK guys. I need to pick the brains of the more informed.
I know that a .460S&W barrel will shoot .460S&W, .454Casull, and .45L.C.
But, will the .460S&W, .454Casull, and .45L.C. dies, reload all of the other calibers? Or do I need different dies for each caliber??
Thanks for any and all help.

Mitch
I carry a single shot.
'cause it only takes one shot.

Offline nilescoyote

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Reloading dies
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 08:07:13 PM »
I had a 454, the dies for it would load both 454 and 45 colt, That said you should be able to buy 460 dies and load all of them with that, The only thing I see that may be a problem would be the bullet seating die. The stem inside the 460 seating die may not be long enough to seat all of the bullets out there for the 45 colt since it is shorter in length.

Hopefully someone who has a 460 will chime in...

Offline blhof

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 01:57:22 AM »
I don't reload the 460, but I reload 357max and 38/357's.  I started with the max dies and loaded for all three.  The problem arises when you have to readjust the dies for the different length.   I made dummy rounds of each in the propper OAL for guides to facilitate quicker resets.  I eventually got dies for each for quicker resets, when loading large quantities.

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 12:50:44 PM »
A set of Lee dies goes for under $30. In my experience, their dies are as good as the other more expensive ones I own. For that kind of money, I wouldn't hassle with trying to make one set work for all.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline odoh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 08:50:54 PM »
A set of Lee dies goes for under $30. In my experience, their dies are as good as the other more expensive ones I own. For that kind of money, I wouldn't hassle with trying to make one set work for all.
Savage

X2 ~ thats what I wound up doing. Hassle factor. Just a note on the LEE carbides tho. There's been recent reports their carbide rings may be fractured/busted when purchased so take a good look first. In my case, it was their 480/475L die.

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 02:35:24 AM »

X2 ~ thats what I wound up doing. Hassle factor. Just a note on the LEE carbides tho. There's been recent reports their carbide rings may be fractured/busted when purchased so take a good look first. In my case, it was their 480/475L die.

Hadn't heard of the problem you mentioned. Good information. Thanks!

Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,