Author Topic: Optima Elite opinion needed!!!  (Read 1059 times)

Offline livinn59801

• Trade Count: (0)
Optima Elite opinion needed!!!
« on: September 01, 2008, 05:47:27 PM »
Hello everyone:

I have a chance to purchase an Optima Elite in 7mm-08.  At first glance, it seems like a great value @ $300 with a stainless steal barrel.  However, i've heard varied opinions regarding it.  Some love it and some seem to hate it. 
Therefore, I am a little hesistent to purchase it.  Can anyone else give me their opinion of this rifle?  I'm especially interested in their accuracy with factory loads and the trigger pull.

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: Optima Elite opinion needed!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 12:26:37 PM »
easily one of the best rifles cva has ever turned out!  I am surprised that you are not getting the info that is normally posted on here!

Go with it!  ss 7mm for $300 is a hell of a deal.

Also read through the pages on this forum, lots of info on the optima elites from the past.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
What bigblock said, I've posted range reports on my 7mm-08 and 300 WinMag, just shot a new 243 barrel, it shoots just as good if not better, in fact, I just packed it up to send off to my smith for rechambering to 6mmAckley. There are only 9 pages of posts in this forum, look back thru them for lots of info on the OE centerfire rifle.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 11:32:29 AM »
I've got several barrels for mine,and all shoot well.(222,243,30 06,and 45 70.) The 222 shoots about 1/3" or less at 100,and the 243 with handloads shoots about the same. The others shoot around 1" to 1 1/4" with factory loads (cheap rem.and Win. ammo) I've shot mine quite alot,on praire dogs,killed lots of wild hogs,and alot of target work,and it still functions fine.I have the compact stock on mine,and it still amaze's me with the less felt recoil in all calibers. The come with a very good recoil pad,and a super sling for carrying. Hope this helps.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline livinn59801

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 04:34:23 PM »
Wow, thank you everyone for the quick responses.  They were all helpful. :D

I have read old post here and elsewhere, and have seen quite a few where they have trouble getting this rifle to pattern.  I have even read bad reports regarding those chambered in 7mm-08 in particular.  Also, I have heard their triggers are heavy and difficult for even a gunsmith to adjust.  Therefore, I'm still a little hesitant. :-\  They almost seem like too good of a deal, which is what I am afraid of, but I really dig the single shot with a 24" barrel and would like to get the confidence to purchase one.

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 06:33:09 PM »
If you get one with a heavy trigger, CVA will adjust it to 3 1/2lbs for free. All of that kind of work is covered with warranty

Offline mgeorge

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 02:53:49 AM »
I haven't checked the pull weight of my trigger, but it is crisp and smooth and has almost no overtravel.  I'm still working on getting it sighted in (my blocks of time to dedicate to it are small) right, but the trigger is okay.  I'll have to check the pull-weight sometime...

Offline Tunaman

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 11:16:39 AM »
I have a 50ml and 270cf. Both shoot well. Infact, the ML barrel is probably the most accurate ml that i have ever had. I would jump on it. At 300, what do you have to loose?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 11:35:44 AM »
I had a free trigger job done by CVA on mine, they reduced it to 3lbs-14oz.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain