Author Topic: hunting family's  (Read 709 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
hunting family's
« on: August 26, 2008, 10:14:02 AM »
who did you learn to hunt from and in your family are you the only one that hunts(your kids if you have any to, do they hunt)?? I am the only hunter in both my mom and dads side of the family(i kind of the black sheep cause everyone in my family have very bad eye sight but i have 20/20 ;D). 
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline alsatian

• Avid Poster
Re: hunting family's
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 10:38:55 AM »
My father hunted a little when I was young.  He was definitely interested in guns and sporterized several rifles based on Springfield '06 military rifles.  Very nicely done and accurate rifles I will add -- one a .30-06 the other a .25-06 with medium weight barrel.  I hunted pheasant once with him and one of my older cousins.  Normally, however, I hunted pheasant on my own on our farm.  I also hunted deer one time as a senior in high school, hanging out where he placed me, but I didn't know what I was doing and he didn't really teach me either, maybe because he didn't know himself.  This was about 1973 in Illinois, and years ago there were not enough deer to have deer hunting seasons where we lived.  I think this might have been about the first season deer licenses were generally available.

I took up hunting seriously when my father passed away in 2002, and I inherited his guns.  Now I hunt deer annually and also hunt ducks pretty regularly about three or four weekends per year.  I have made one trip to Wyoming for a pronghorn antelope hunt, where I took my son.  I made one trip to Colorado to hunt Elk, which I did on my own.  I have taken my son to Hunter Safety course.  I took my son deer hunting a couple of years, but he didn't get any shots on deer and has lost interest.  Too little activity for a teenager.  In retrospect I should have sat with him rather than doing my own hunt, which would have made the hunt perhaps a little more interesting for him.  I need to take my youngest daughter.  I've taken my youngest daughter out with me to observe me deer hunting.  She may want to go deer hunting herself in the future, can't tell yet.

I would say that I learned most of my hunting on my own.  Nevertheless, I did learn some valuable and key information from my niece's husband.  He showed me how to skin and quarter a deer.  I am a cook and am comfortable cutting up meat and around bones, so I just needed a basic overview on how the deer is put together to take it from there.  I have always butchered all of my big game meat.  Additionally, my niece's husband has taken me out many times duck hunting.  I think I may have learned a bit more about how to duck hunt than I did about deer hunting.  I remember feeling much more clueless about duck hunting at the start, but now I feel like I understand it much better, so I probably learned more lore in that case from this guy.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 08:26:45 AM »
i never had anyone help me with hunting and i learned everything by myself, that why i have so many bad habits that i do(like i use a survival or tanto knife for skinning and etc) but i have fun at hunting and shoot, also i never learn how to shoot right but i hit what i shoot at. maybe one day i will find someone to learn from but for right now i just a varmint hunter and i very good at that.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 10:09:19 AM »
What caliber do you use to hunt varmits with?

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 10:55:31 AM »
i used to used anything i could find(from 22LR to 44mag) but now i hunt coyotes,rats,beaver,nurta, starling,rock doves, monitors and anything else i can find with .177 and .22 airgun,slingshots, and bow. The .177 scores is 50+ starlings, 10 rats, 1 coon and a few others, the .22 scores is unknown for starlings(kill to many to count),5 beavers, 3 nurta, 10 coons, and maybe 100 in the others(form rock doves or aka pigeons to a 12 foot snake), the bow and slingshot kill a lot of stuff to but i don't count with them.  I am a varmint hunter and i some what good at it.

Offline IOWA DON

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 02:13:05 AM »
I grew up on a farm and my brother and I got a BB-gun at an early age just like the neighbor kids. My dad did not hunt so we chased birds around on our own without any real instruction or training. Later we got a good Sheridan pellet rifle and shotguns. When I was still in grade school my dad bought a used .22 Hornet rifle, I think mostly for me as he never hunted with it nor did my brother. I bought a .243 rifle with my wages from lifting hay bales my first summer out of the 8th grade and after finding out it did not shoot as well as expected, the next year upgraded to a 7MM Weatherby Magnum. Over the next few years I got small game, pheasants and coyotes. However, did not do well on deer as their population was low and I had no idea how to hunt them. I took my son hunting a lot and he was a very enthusiastic hunter, but now with kids of his own and a stressful job, his amount of hunting he does seems to be decreasing. My grandsons seem to be interested in hunting. My son's son (11 years old) lives 275 miles away and is here only for every other weekend (a divorce). So his opportunity to go hunting is somewhat limited. Two of my grandsons (7 and 10 years old) are discouraged from hunting because my daughter thinks their time is better spent in soccer and other more politically OK activeties. The oldest grandson (13 years old) likes to go with and has the OK to hunt from his mother, but as yet is limited from actually hunting because he has not got around to getting the required hunter safety training. I think the way our modern culture going, and with hunting access going away, hunting will eventually die out. Within a generation or two most people will not know how to use firearms, except criminals, and our second amendment will be gone.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 05:14:29 AM »
I grew up on a farm and my brother and I got a BB-gun at an early age just like the neighbor kids. My dad did not hunt so we chased birds around on our own without any real instruction or training. Later we got a good Sheridan pellet rifle and shotguns. When I was still in grade school my dad bought a used .22 Hornet rifle, I think mostly for me as he never hunted with it nor did my brother. I bought a .243 rifle with my wages from lifting hay bales my first summer out of the 8th grade and after finding out it did not shoot as well as expected, the next year upgraded to a 7MM Weatherby Magnum. Over the next few years I got small game, pheasants and coyotes. However, did not do well on deer as their population was low and I had no idea how to hunt them. I took my son hunting a lot and he was a very enthusiastic hunter, but now with kids of his own and a stressful job, his amount of hunting he does seems to be decreasing. My grandsons seem to be interested in hunting. My son's son (11 years old) lives 275 miles away and is here only for every other weekend (a divorce). So his opportunity to go hunting is somewhat limited. Two of my grandsons (7 and 10 years old) are discouraged from hunting because my daughter thinks their time is better spent in soccer and other more politically OK activeties. The oldest grandson (13 years old) likes to go with and has the OK to hunt from his mother, but as yet is limited from actually hunting because he has not got around to getting the required hunter safety training. I think the way our modern culture going, and with hunting access going away, hunting will eventually die out. Within a generation or two most people will not know how to use firearms, except criminals, and our second amendment will be gone.

yeah, there a lot of guns here in FL from .22 handguns to 20mm guns(yes i have seen them at different gun stores) but very few people hunt with there guns. Most just get a AK or m16 because it's cool. One thing people seem to forget about there gun rights is that if there is no way to shoot them how are you going to learn more about your gun? Ranges are getting harder to find these days. also there is more class 3 dealers here in pinealls then anyway i have live(some say if they don't have it or can't find it they can make it for).