Author Topic: AMT Backup Barrel  (Read 2223 times)

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
AMT Backup Barrel
« on: August 21, 2008, 07:38:02 PM »
A while back, on one of these forums, someone made a post stating they had purchased a .357 Sig drop-in barrel for a AMT .40.  Does anyone have any information on the source for the barrel?  I often carry a P226 in .357 Sig as a CCW and carry the AMT in my pickup.  By having both in the same caliber it would reduce the amount of ammo I carry.

I have searched the web and been unable to find such a barrel......this is a shot in the dark, but I would appreciate any help in finding one, if available.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
Re: AMT Backup Barrel
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 03:05:32 AM »
Check firedragon.com, EFK Firedragon replacement barrels for most auto's including AMT.  I have one of their ported target barrels for my M9 and it's very accurate.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 08:16:49 AM »
When I opened the firedragon site it was nothing to do with firearms (something about someone meeting a "new friend")...did you post correctly?

Offline JoeG52

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 09:51:50 AM »
the link should be...
https://www.efkfiredragon.com/

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 02:50:17 AM »
Thanks Joe.  I didn't find one on their web page, but sent an e-mail to see if they make it.  I will post the results.

Offline RollTide

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 07:25:30 PM »
I called the company who now manufactures the AMT Backup and got a quote form them, but that has been 2 or 3 years ago.  Here is the number.

Contact High Standard Manufacturing 1-800-272-7816

Roll Tide

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 06:38:13 PM »
A friend loaned me his .357, I took the barrel out, put it in mine and took her to the range, it worked perfect!  I have since located a .357 Sig barrel on gunbrokers at a good price and should have it next week.

During my search I found that many changes can be made to the Large Frame gun.  It was offered in 9mm, .357 Sig, .40, .400 Cor-Bon and .45.  With the barrel change the gun can go to any of the following: 9mm, .357 Sig, or .40.  I am told that the .400 Cor-bon barrel will also work.  For the .45 all one needs to do is change the slide, barrel and mag. (I located a .45 slide and barrel for $50. but haven't moved on it yet.)

Not that they are good for anything other than the name implies, Back-up or a night stand gun it is still good to know that the caliber can be changed at will.

Offline RollTide

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 07:17:59 PM »
I have barrel and slide combinations in 45acp, 9mm, 40s&w, and 357sig.  The only thing I don't have is the 400 corbon abd the 38 super.  I am not really interested in those calibers as the ones I have are probably the best for self defense out of a really short barrel gun.  All the barrels and slides interchange.  You may be able to make a 9mm work in a 40 slide, but I am not sure.  I guess I could put one together that way and find out quick enough.  I know a 400 corbon will require a 45 slide.  I have two frames and 4 barrel slide combinations and I think it is one of the best ultra compact weapons available when tuned correctly.  The DEA actually approved the AMT Backup for deep concealment for their agents back in the 90's.  A gun must be made 100% functional if it isn't already if it is to counted on for defense, but that can be done with the AMT Backups.  The AMT Backup gets a lot of negative press, but when correctly tuned, It is GREAT for its intended purpose.  I really like the fact the the trigger is stiff since that is the only safety on this pocket gun, which I also like.  I also prefer the weight of an all metal gun in such a small package because it makes multiple shots easier, and multiple shots will almost certainly be needed with ANY handgun.  Lastly, in an all metal option, I really like a stainless gun for pocket carry due to corrosion resistance.  The restrike ability of the AMT is also an attractive feature to me in any automatic pistol.  I would rather have a full size gun if I really expect trouble, but 6 sure rounds of 40s&w in your front pocket is a mighty big comfort.  In 99 percent of the situations I might encounter, that will allow me as good a chance as any to fight my way clear of whatever threat I encounter.

I carry the 40s&w AMT Backup as my primary with 2 spare mags when I carry.  This is easy to carry and conceal in anything I wear with a belt in the pants.  The belt is needed to support the weight of the gun.  I really like mine and I wish you the best with yours.

I am glad you located your barrel.  If you locate any 9mm, 357 or 40 barrels that you don't need let me know.  I have two frames and I like to have a NY reload sometimes.  At present the only caliber I can carry two guns at a time is 45acp.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 09:46:52 AM »
RollTide.  Check this site out.  This is where I found my .357 barrel.  I just purchased a 9mm barrel, the same person has the other barrels listed, he seems to be a straight shooter, has a lot parts, and fair prices.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.asp

Happy hunting.................if the link doesn't work got to gunbrokers.com, when the page comes (you may have to establish a password) look on the3 left side of the screen, go down to "Firearms Parts, click on pistol, then in search type AMT Backup.  You will find lots of items for sale there.