Author Topic: Opening day for Muzzleloader (Got A Buck today) :)  (Read 928 times)

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Opening day for Muzzleloader (Got A Buck today) :)
« on: October 11, 2003, 06:18:03 AM »
Well, it is opening day for Muzzleloader. I took my son and 2 friends. We went to State land and where we scouted earlier, there were hunters going in. So I mover to my second location and we spread out. Shooting time was at 6:39. at 6:42 my buddy shoots. At 7:10 I shoot. We both get 5 point bucks. (Eastern count.) We are going back out this afternoon for the evening hunt. I hope my son and my other buddy get one. Did I forget!! Hunting is great...   :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :D  :D  :D  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
Opening day for Muzzleloader (Got A Buck to
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2003, 03:11:43 PM »
congrats!  What were you using (rifle,bullet,powder) and what are the details . . . come on, dont leave me in suspense. :-)

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 01:39:34 AM »
longwinters, I use an Encore 50 Cal with 295 gr. power belt bullets and 2 Triple pellets. I was hunting from the ground. After my buddy shot and got his deer, the other deer ran back into the woods where they came out of. I seen my buddy go out and check his deer and field dress it. As I was watching him I noticed a lone buck come out of the woods about 200 yards from where my buddy was. It was about 300 to 350 yards across the field running straight toward me. I stayed in my chair and put my stoney shooting sticks in place and put my Encore Muzzleloader on the sticks. The deer still came right toward me at 48 yards the buck stop and looked at me. I had him in my sight the whole time he was crossing the field. Before he moved I put the crosshairs on his neck and pulled the trigger, the buck was facing straight at me. He was getting ready to run again so I fired. I did not want to try a chest shot due to the mess I would have had shooting straight into the buck. But the bullet found it's mark and the buck dropped in it tracks. I bullet was dead center in it nick and took out it's esophagus and took out his spine. The bullet passed right through. I have my Encore sighted in for 1 inch high at 100 yards so I knew the bullet would go where I placed the crosshairs. I was just out the day before shooting my Encore and at 100 yards my 3 shot group is under 1 1/2 inches. I had 2 shots touching and one that was 1 inch away from the other two. So it is really under MOA.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 08:31:58 AM »
Very nicely done.  Our muzzle season is not until Dec. Although you could use one in the regular rifle season.  I also have a 209x50.  But my shots are at 50yds or less where I hunt late season.  I should get out to the range and see what it does at 100 yds.  I think I will try power belts this year as they seem to seat much easier than sabots.  Again, Congratulation on a great hunt.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline conibearer

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2003, 01:44:22 PM »
Well congratulations to you and your freind. And i was wondering if your son and your freind got one later that day?

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2003, 02:06:24 PM »
conibearer, We went back out that afternoon and did not see anything, we also went today and nothing again. We are going to try a few different spots. Our muzzleloading season ends on the 18 of October, but opens again in January for 1 week. We also have our Shotgun season in November 1 week again in January 1 week and a late season doe only in December 1 week. One thing nice our bow season runs from September 1st to January 16th. During any of the muzzleloader or shotgun season you have to wear orange, if you are bow hunting. But most use what ever weapon the season is.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2003, 02:02:52 AM »
AAHHHHH .... Tiz the season.... nice cool mornings ... warmish days and
FILET  OF DEEER on the grill !
It is nice to here a deer was dropped by something other than a ford for a change :D