Author Topic: That cheap old junk Handi WILL shoot  (Read 533 times)

Offline E Rex B

• Trade Count: (0)
That cheap old junk Handi WILL shoot
« on: September 26, 2008, 07:44:08 AM »
I cussed my Handi as much as anyone when I got it a couple of years ago.  It is a heavy barrel .223 and sure has no frills.  I got it to throw in the tractor during corn harvest to pester the coyotes with, if  it gets a few dings who cares.  As harvest is close, I took it out this morning.  My oldest Grandson had taken my 3x9 VX11 Leupold off of it for his deer rifle so I found a middle aged 6X Tasco in the garage.  It must be one of the first to be made in China, in the sun lite it is turning a pretty purple.
I've put about 200 rounds through this rifle and a few strokes of Mother's Mag Wheel Polish on a tight fitting patch.  I put two rounds of 50gr. Hornady bullet and RL15 powder down the tube to foul it then one round of 52gr. Hornady 52gr. HP bullet and Varget that I'll be using.The unsuspecting victom was a Pepsi can at 80 yards.  Coyotes in the corn field are shot fairly close.  When I walked down to see how close I came, I was shooting off of the slopeing hood of an old Plymouth van, there were three holes in the can.  The last hold just a little lower than the first two.
Dang, I wanted to bad mouth this thing but I think it will fill it's intended role just fine this year.
Rex

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
Re: That cheap old junk Handi WILL shoot
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 10:01:16 AM »
It sure feels good when a gun you bought shoots better than expected. ;D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 10:06:17 AM »
lol... it just didn't know how to shoot w/ that good leupold on it ;D

Not that you've got an old Chi-com tasco on it, it feels more comfy!!!!

Sam
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline E Rex B

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 11:34:53 AM »
Sam, you may have a point there.  I hadn't thought about that.
Seriously, when you get those "less than expensive" rifles, smooth those bores.  Either shoot a couple hundred rounds before paying attention to groups or hand lap them a bit.  Probably good to do both.
I know that a pop can isn't a real small target but the group I got didn't cover the whole can either and 66 year old eyes water a bit when you concentrate on the aim.
Rex

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 11:52:34 AM »
Lol... I'm just having a bit o fun!  Those handi's are real shooters and a pop can is a real small target past 200 yards :D
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."