Author Topic: Biggest caliber in handi rifle  (Read 1948 times)

Offline gatersb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Biggest caliber in handi rifle
« on: September 25, 2008, 11:22:40 AM »
Hey just wondering what is the largest caliber anyone has heard of a handi in custom or factory?  Just curious I know the 45/70 is factory but wondering what the custom handi rifles in wildcat chamberings run to.

Offline 223dog

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Biggest caliber in handi rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 11:32:31 AM »
.50 s&w is the biggest that I know of.  Also there is a 10 gauge shotgun out.  I think that they used to make a 58 cal muzzy too.  Not sure about the muzzy. 

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 12:18:40 PM »
I have one in 58.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 01:45:05 PM »
I have a stubbed .50-90 Sharps.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 02:09:47 AM »
what  is stubbed????....             i  am  new  to  handi  and  have  about 12  i  like  the  pistol  rounds better
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 04:57:19 AM »
A stub is when a donor barrel is cut off just ahead of the lug many times a shotgun barrel). It is bored out and another barrel is fit into the stub. Some times by threading or by a collar and a nut similar to a Savage nut. The new barrel can be chambered for the cartridge you want. If you get a barrel in .308, you can chamber it in any thing the frame will handle.

There are a few on here that have rechambered in 45-90 or 45-120
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Smokin Joe

Offline Daniel Laws

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 11:04:56 AM »
I saw one at a gun show a couple of years ago.  A ten gauge shotgun frame, barrel bored and linered for 458 Win. Mag.  Had BC stocks and a nice set of express type sights on it.  All this on an SB-1 frame!  And the package was only priced at $500.  I wouldn't have shot it on a bet, but some people are just born stupid, I suppose.

Offline 9x19

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 11:35:25 AM »
IN terms of bullet diameter, .50 is the largest rifle caliber a private citizen can own without a lot of federal paper-work... I have a .500 Handi and it's a lot of fun!

That limitation does not apply to shotguns, where the 12 gauge is about .70 or so...

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 11:49:38 AM »
Can you post any info on that? 
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 12:26:51 PM »
You don't want nothin' with more than 6k ft-lbs in a Handi, let me tell you that.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 01:59:26 PM »
IN terms of bullet diameter, .50 is the largest rifle caliber a private citizen can own without a lot of federal paper-work... I have a .500 Handi and it's a lot of fun!

Hummm, learn sumpin new every day...  :-\  'Course, when you senile like me everything is new!   :-[  Can you cite me your reference for that?   ???
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline knight0334

• Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 03:18:58 PM »
You don't want nothin' with more than 6k ft-lbs in a Handi, let me tell you that.

No kidding...  My T-Rex 45-120 loads hurt me as much as the groundhogs.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 04:29:01 PM »
IN terms of bullet diameter, .50 is the largest rifle caliber a private citizen can own without a lot of federal paper-work...

Nope! ATF classes them as Sporting Purpose firearms and they give an exemption. They will answer e-mailed questions re: this at their website. I asked about the .50-90, .577 and .600 and they said no problem.

Offline gatersb

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
Thanks guys I hear you my 45/70 causes me to flinch sometimes and my friends 375H&H with 300 grain solids made my teeth slap shut.  But I wouldn't mind setting off that 45/120 just for bragging rights but my 22" barrel on my 45/70 is pointless as a 45/120. 

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 06:08:42 PM »
Seems like I remember a .450 Marlin.  And if I'm not mistaken I believe that is the most potent cartridge NEF/H&R chambered for.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline 9x19

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 01:20:33 AM »
IN terms of bullet diameter, .50 is the largest rifle caliber a private citizen can own without a lot of federal paper-work...

Nope! ATF classes them as Sporting Purpose firearms and they give an exemption. They will answer e-mailed questions re: this at their website. I asked about the .50-90, .577 and .600 and they said no problem.

Thanks for updating my clearly out-of-date info...  :-[

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 05:08:04 AM »
IN terms of bullet diameter, .50 is the largest rifle handgun caliber a private citizen can own without a lot of federal paper-work...

The rule applies to handguns not long guns there's no limit to those. Otherwise rifled slug guns would be illegal

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 05:14:33 AM »
50  caliber  limit  applies  to  rifled  barrels regardless  of  length....cartridge....muzzle loaders  OK......i  think  it  was  in  the  70s or 80s  that  the  BATF  exempted  shot guns....look  it  up   i am  too  lazy  right  now       Tim
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline knight0334

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 05:24:19 AM »
IN terms of bullet diameter, .50 is the largest rifle handgun caliber a private citizen can own without a lot of federal paper-work...

The rule applies to handguns not long guns there's no limit to those. Otherwise rifled slug guns would be illegal

It applies to all rifled firearms, longguns and shotgun.  If you create a new chambering and cartridge over .500", you will need to get the ATF to designate it a sporting firearm.   If I make a 675 Knight Special - I would need to get the exemption because it exceeds .500" and has yet to grace the ATF's desk.   But if I build a rifle chambered for 550, 600, 700 Nitro Express I wouldn't, they have already been exempted.

Rifled slug guns are still considered "smoothbore" shotguns, and are not covered by the >.500" prohibition - unless they are semi-automatic and have been deemed to not have a sporting purpose(opposite assertion).  There are only 2 or 3 shotguns that fit the description of a Destructive Device.

Offline knight0334

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2008, 05:30:29 AM »
50  caliber  limit  applies  to  rifled  barrels regardless  of  length....cartridge....muzzle loaders  OK......i  think  it  was  in  the  70s or 80s  that  the  BATF  exempted  shot guns....look  it  up   i am  too  lazy  right  now       Tim

Muzzle loaders and replicas of original muzzle loaders that have not been converted to fire fixed ammunition,  guns made before 1898, and guns where ammunition is no longer in production or available in standard channels of commerce are not "firearms" by definition of federal law.  Some state laws vary a bit though.  They are however considered "firearms" in regards to persons that are prohibited from possessing a firearm.

You can make a 20" bore muzzleloading cannon and there is no federal law prohibiting it.