Author Topic: Finally broke in my new Topper!  (Read 555 times)

Offline mjh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Finally broke in my new Topper!
« on: October 08, 2008, 09:09:28 AM »
Well I got a new 20g Topper last spring and have been waiting to use it.  Took a grouse hunting camping trip up north for a few days and finally go to use my new Topper.  I had been looking for a lighter single shot 20g for grouse, small game, forageing and what not  and the Topper fit the bill, plus I wanted to buy new this time around. When I saw that there were going to be changes in location of manufacturing I new I had to get a Topper sooner than later.  Not that the new location will produce any less of a firearm, its just nice to have one from the old factory.  Anyways back to the hunt.  First day out no grouse, not even a flushed one, second day out 4 spruce grouse, they were tastey, flushed another but never had a chance at a shot,  third day out one ruffed grouse, had a chance on another one but buy the time I got close enough for a shot it  had walked into heavy brush too thick to shoot and never flushed. All around a a very good time and I was very happy with the Topper 20g, fun light ready to shoot!  And I got the camp packed up before the rain came!!!  I will enjoy may years of hunting with this new Topper 20g and pass it on to my yound son when he is ready!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: Finally broke in my new Topper!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 01:10:47 PM »
It doesn't get much better than that. I'm sure your son will be able to feel the memories you create with that gun at your side as he carries it later and hopefully passes it on to a next generation. Up north where? We have no grouse in Delaware.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline mjh

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 03:59:17 AM »
I was in Northen Minnesota in the BWCAW Boundry Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.  As the name implys a wilderness area mainly accesable by canoe but there are some hike in areas.  I hiked in about 7miles and did the hunting while hiking in and out on the various days. Planned on staying longer but was having some packpack problems (testing some new gear) and I knew the long term forcast, when the winds change and blew all day on day three I knew it was time to start moving out.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 11:57:02 AM »
sounds like you had a great time, and Grouse (Partridge) are good eating. I am surprised you can shoot spruce grouse though, they cannot be legally shot in Maine so we are limited to shooting ruffed grouse, a bit harder to get but tasty as well....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline mjh

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 10:45:28 AM »
We can hunt the spruce grouse here.  They are limited in range and also not hunted as hard as the ruffed so with less pressure I suppose the State DNR deems the poplulation huntable.  Of course the population of grouse in gerneral swings up and down, were on an up cycle at the moment, might last another year or two. Good for grouse hunting!  You can take up to 5 a day combined species with 10 total possesion.  Hope to get out again but with bowhunting in full swing my attention is generally taken up with that at the moment.