Author Topic: Interesting little carronade  (Read 1226 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Interesting little carronade
« on: September 21, 2008, 03:05:58 AM »
Sorry, again no powder can, but I think this carronade is about a 9-pounder, didn't have time to measure bore either.

This is another piece from the collection I visited the other day.  The reason I picked it to show here is that it has about the most interesting set of marks I've seen on any carronade.  The double broad arrow is apparently an official condemnation mark, which I've read about but never seen.  The quarter-scale marks on both sides of the breech. with numbers, are something I can't think I've ever seen on any carronade.

As I told the owner, in my opinion, some of the metal "appendages" I think were added by a former but recent owner, like the flip-up rear sight (if that's what the thing is!)  The axle and bushing are of the same origin I think, as is the short hex bolt that's screwed into the firing lock mounting hole in the basering. 

The owner has another genuine carronade but it is in kinda bad shape and no marks are visible so I didn't bother with a photo.

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: Interesting little carronade
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 04:57:40 AM »
could it be some kind of aiming device ( or part of ) to help to correct for the distance to the target ??
would be easier to have it built in then using an quadrant .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 05:00:27 AM »
John,

The double broad arrow mark is a sold out of service mark, not condemnation.  http://www.martinihenry.com/metalmarkings.htm

A good book for British Marks is the British Broad Arrow by Ian Skennerton.  Skennertons sells it on his website.

Offline Bob Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 09:50:33 AM »
Any maker's marks on the underside?

Bob Smith

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 12:47:53 PM »
Any maker's marks on the underside?

No.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 07:07:08 PM »
Just an observation...in pictures #1 and #5, a glimpse of the underside seems to show a mounting system quite like the one seen on the Dalghren Boat Howitzer available from Steen Cannons. Are there any pics of the underside by any chance? Thanks, BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 08:01:52 PM »
You are correct in that the carronade shown, like all true carronades, has an underloop for mounting.  Dahlgren copied the "integrally cast loop" it in his boat howitzer barrels.

The shaft and sleeve that is stuck in the hole in the underloop on this carronade seemed to me to have been added by some relatively recent owner.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 02:34:52 PM »
Thanks, Cannonmn, that is what I thought I saw. Have another related question, how does a cast loop like that, and also on the Dalghren, compare, strenght wise, to a pair of trunnions? Seems recoil would play havoc with this type of mounting system, however, it may depend on the thickness of the cast loop? looks simular to this side view: \o/, however, would the back be thicker than the front to absorb more recoil? Thanks, BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 03:28:11 PM »
how does a cast loop like that, and also on the Dalghren, compare, strenght wise, to a pair of trunnions?

I've never heard of one of the mounting loops failing on a Dahlgren.  Although I've never heard of one failing on a carronade either, I'd have to suspect that such an event was more likely with cast iron than bronze, since cast iron's strength was much more variable than that of bronze.  The few carronades I've inspected closely had fairly massive underloops.  I've never really noticed a difference in the thickness of the front or rear of the underloop. 

Keeping the same amount of material all around the hole in the loop (symmetry), as much as possible, was probably a good thing.  Today we know that asymmetry can produce strain concentration and failures, but I don't think that was fully realized ca. 1800.

As you probably know, the carronade carriages had a top portion that was allowed to slide in recoil over the lower portion.  This cut down on the forces placed on the mounting loop by the recoil.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 03:58:11 PM »
Also carronades were loaded with substantially smaller charges than the long guns.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 04:15:28 PM »
There were a few Confederate Parrott-type rifles cast with the underloop for mounting.  The one I know the history of was captured aboard or recovered from the Confederate tugboat or gunboat "Teazer."  As I recall there's an excellent wartime photo of the gun on this boat.  As far as I know the US Naval Historical Center still owns the gun (no mounting) but has it in storage somewhere.

The carriage is very close in design to a Dahlgren boat howitzer boat carriage.

http://www.civilwar-pictures.com/g/albums/naval/confederate_teaser.jpg

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 06:47:03 PM »
"They" say, if you want the best answer, go for the most knowledgable source...thanks, you guys answered my question, and the photo of the Parrott on the Teaser gave an excellent view of the mounting system. Looked pretty stable and substantial to me! Nice sliding block deck mount, too! Thanks again, BoomLover

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 03:48:32 AM »
If you look closely at the boat carriage in the pic of TEASER, the top part of the carriage including the "A" frame appears to be all one casting!  You can tell it is different surface from the wood below it.  I'm guessing it would have to be bronze given how thin some of the pieces of it are.  Perhaps it is hollow underneath the "box" part though, a solid casting that size would be very heavy and an unnecessary use of bronze.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 05:38:10 AM »
John, should you have a burglary or should I say an attempted burglary and the suspect gets away...tell the police to check the hospital for some admitted for emergency hernia surgery.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 06:03:24 AM »
I've been to John's place some years ago if someone were to try I doubt they would get away.........
might be found squashed like a bug under a cannon barrel but I doubt a hernia
would be their problem......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium