Author Topic: Old Weaver  (Read 1825 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Old Weaver
« on: June 13, 2003, 01:41:21 PM »
Bought a old Weaver today at a rummage sale for 5 bucks they wanted 15 but I told the lady no way I buy scopes and electronics that you cannot check there at the sale cheap as if they are bad then I will not take a beating as I have before and it you do not want to sell it for that price fine Most of the time I can get it for a reasonable price. It is a old K Series 2 1/2 power with the post crosshair setup. The one thing I thought that was neat was it still had the origional box and the factory phamphlet telling about K series scopes and a reprint article by Jack O'Conner on how to sight in your scope that is also included from Weaver. I just thought that was a bit unusual as old as the scope was some one would save the box for that long. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Old Weaver
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 02:26:49 PM »
Jim,

Sounds like you got a hell of a deal if everything works on it.  If if it doesn't, for not much money you could sent it back to Weaver and have them check is out.  That is neat that it was in the original box too.  Good find!
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline jhm

Old Weaver
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 03:44:49 PM »
Jim:  some of the old weavers are becoming collectable the old k series with the brass ends that screw into the tube are worth keeping espcially with the original box and papers.   Good find. :D    JIM

Offline Carl l.

• Avid Poster
  • Hunting,Fishing,Camping and Woodworking
Weaver Scopes
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 09:34:49 AM »
JHM,
I have a Weaver scope 2.5x8 power with external adjustments. I bought it used in 1960. The only writting on the scope is Weaver V8, El-Paso-Texas. Do you know what year this scope was made? I have this scope monted on a Rem. 722-257 Roberts made in 1956. When the scope is on 2.5 power the crosshair is real fine, when it is on 8 power the crosshair is heavy. I broke a screw on it years ago and I sent it back to Weaver and they fixed it and put new gas in it and didn't charge me anything. It is a real good scope. Thanks Carl L.

Offline jhm

Old Weaver
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 11:27:42 AM »
Carl I :  I sure wish I could help you on the dating of the old weaver but I cant you may try the weaver people in El. Paso they might be able to help like you I have several of the older weavers and the old denver Redfields that I have had for years and just enjoy them, alot of improvements over the years but in collecting of some older rifles I like to equip them with the optics of their age to match the rifles just a personel thing I enjoy doing, let me know what you find out on yours. :D   JIM

Offline Kragman71

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Old Weaver
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 03:48:43 PM »
I'm a big fan of those El Paso Weaver scopes.
I have 2 K2.5's, a J 2.5, and a KV 6. All are installed on guns that I shoot.
I also bought a K 3 for six dollars,that is a little foggy. I'm going to send it to El Paso for a rehab and install a modern duplex reticle.
Your K 2.5 scope is marked to indicate the model,and that determines the date of manufacture. One of mine is a model 60B,and was made between 1956  and 1966.
Copy the data and send it to:
Weaver Scope Repair Service
1121 Larry Mahan Drive,Suite B
El Paso,Texas,79925
Phone# 915 593 1005
Frank
Frank

Offline jh45gun

Old Weaver
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2003, 06:22:12 PM »
Kragman, I know that they are making new Weaver Scopes, I figured that the El Paso was history I also thought that they did not do anything with the older ones any more?? I wonder how much they would charge to replace the reticle from a post to a crosshair? I guess I will have to call them and see. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline jhm

Old Weaver
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2003, 03:08:25 AM »
jh45gun :  Jim a friend of mine had a older 2x7 redone cant remember what all they did but I seem to recall a price of $40.00 was mentioned so its not too bad for a old classic scope. :D   JIM

Offline Carl l.

• Avid Poster
Weaver Scopes
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2003, 03:19:48 AM »
Kragman71,
Thanks for the information on the El-Paso Scopes. I will write them and see what happens Carl L.

Offline Kragman71

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Old Weaver
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2003, 03:09:20 PM »
Both of my K 2.5's were sent back for reconditioning. The average cost was $50.00.
Frank
Frank

Offline Carl l.

• Avid Poster
Weaver Scopes
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2003, 07:53:16 AM »
To JHM in Central Ark. and Kragman71 in Orange Co. New York.

I contacted Weaver in El-Paso Tex. on the weaver scope with the external adjustments ( 2.5x8 power ) V8 and they said the scope was made 1960 to 1962 with external adjustments. They made the 2.5x8 with enternal adjustments after that which was also a V8. I thought you would both would like to know. Thanks for the addresse and telephone No. Carl L.

ps This has been one of the best scopes that I have ever had. I think when a scope has passed test for 43 yrs it has to be a good one.

Offline jhm

Old Weaver
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2003, 11:17:25 AM »
Carl:  Thanks for the update on the scope, I like you also like the old weavers and another scope that was manu. in denver (redfield) I like older rifles and when I find rifles used in the 60/70 era I like to scope them with the optics of the same era, just a little pet pieve I have, enjoy the scope and hope you get another 43 years out of it. :D   JIM