Author Topic: USH, amazing accuracy  (Read 817 times)

Offline buckshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
USH, amazing accuracy
« on: August 16, 2008, 02:15:27 AM »
I just got the 12 gauge USH with a Nikon slughunter scope.  I shoot the gun and discovered that my gun's patterns are really good under 100 yards.  At 25 yards, 50 yards, and 100 yards my patterns were under an 1.50 inch.  Then I shot at 150 yards, knowing my gun can shoot that far accurately. 

distance - 150 yards
ammo - Horned sst's
temperature - 75 degrees, sunny
windage - 10 to 15 mph winds
date - 8/15/08

Then at 150 yards, I shot four shots, it was shooting 12 inch patterns.  What caused this erotic pattern, could it be that it was 10 to 15 mph winds.  Also I had shot 20 rounds through the gun, could it be because of how dirty the gun was, should I clean it every 10 shots to keep the accuracy.  Should I try different ammo, know keep in mind that I used the same ammo the hole time, and that others have had great patterns with the hornady sst's. 
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Re: USH, amazing accuracy
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 05:54:38 AM »
I don't know about your erotic pattern...Maybe the pattern was just erratic?  ;D

I would try other brands of slugs...I have had really good luck with 2 3/4" Lightfield Hybreds...Although I've never shot them over 100 yards because I have no shot that far in any place that I hunt.

The 10-15 mph winds might have been a factor as well at the 150 yard distance...Might want to try again another day before writing off the SST's...I've never shot them but your figures at 100 yards and under are pretty good.

What is the longest shot you have where you hunt?  Do you need a slug that is accurate to 150? 

Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline jjas

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 08:01:20 AM »
At 150 yards any problems that might be occuring @ 25,50,100 are magnified greatly @ farther distances.

Dirty barrels, hot barrels, shooting form errors, wind, mirage all come into play @ farther distances.

I would clean the gun well, check my scope mount and rings (to be sure they are tight) and try again @ 150 yards on a calm day and see what you get then.

If you are shooting 1.5" groups @ 100, I would be surprised to see 12" groups @ 150 being the norm from your set up. 

Best of luck on your next trip to the range,

Jim

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 10:57:20 AM »
I checked the entire gun.  The scope, the rings, and the mount were tight, so I think it was the dirty ness of the barrel and the wind.  I have not gone back to the range yet. When I do, I will tell you the results. 

Hope this helps

buckshooter
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan