Author Topic: Tracker II pricing... Sticker Shock  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Flingarrows

• Trade Count: (1)
Tracker II pricing... Sticker Shock
« on: July 05, 2008, 06:59:51 AM »
I havent been on since last fall, but i'm back!

I went to the local Mega Sports here in Illinois, to buy my son a Tracker II 20 Ga. for the up coming season. I have purchased a .270 handi, and an Ultra slug .20 from them over the past few years, in the low $200's.  Back a couple of years ago, I bought my son the .28 youth NEF from Walmart, for around 120ish, if I remember correctly.

I went to Mega Sports a few weeks ago, and they wanted $199 to order the tracker II. I printed out Walmarts online price for 139.99, took it in to Walmart this morning, and they wont price match. Their price is 175.00

I ordered it anyway.

I know that fuel prices are driving everything up. I wish i would have bought it last fall.  35 bucks may not seem to be alot, but with the kids in sports and what not, there is not a lot of $$$ left at the end of the pay check.

What are you guys paying for the trackers in your area?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Tracker II pricing... Sticker Shock
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 07:15:24 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Flingarrows

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 07:27:38 AM »
Thanks for the links.

I guess that i need to buy more guns before they go up more (hee hee)  ;D

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 08:08:31 AM »
I got the new Ultra Light Slug Hunter 20ga out the door at Walmart for $184. It is basicly a TrackerII with scope mount and the new ultragon rifling. Most dealers can't buy them for what Wally sells them for .Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Flingarrows

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 03:34:24 PM »
what is the SB part number for that one?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Flingarrows

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 03:59:54 PM »
Thx QDT

Offline mike65

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 10:18:42 AM »
I just got my Tracker II SB1 for $179.99. I live in NE Ohio. After checking w/ a couple of other places, this price was about average. The catch to getting one at a lower price was driving farther to get it, which means more $$ in gas.

If the price of the gun gave you sticker shock, wait till you see the price of sabots!!  :o

Good luck with the Tracker.

Offline Flingarrows

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 12:55:49 PM »
Thanks, the tracker is for my son, but he is real excited to get it

Offline ccoorreeyy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 02:56:18 PM »
I dropped in a gun shop today that had a NEW tracker II marked for $169.  The fellow working said I could have it out the door for $150!  Guess I'll be going back tomorrow after getting paid.
This is the day that the Lord hath made!!  I will rejoice and be glad in it!!

Offline Flingarrows

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 11:35:34 PM »
sounds good

Offline Flingarrows

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 02:46:08 PM »
we picked up my sons tracker this afternoon

Offline PHATINJUN

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 05:56:20 PM »
And another Handyholic has joined the ranks. Man that gun looks good on him . Is this his first?. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Flingarrows

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 11:38:59 PM »
That is his 1st slug gun, he has a .28 pardner also

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 05:10:28 PM »
Just bought my Tracker II 20g a few weeks back in Olathe, Kansas (KC Metro area) from my local gun shop it was $175+tax. Dick's quoted me $150+tax but they would have to special order it. I think the Tracker II offers great value, and with a few cheap modifications makes it a great slug gun.

I took it to the range a few weeks ago, and started the sight in process. I am new to shotguns and slugs, so I suffered a beating. First off, the Tracker II 20g are too light and kick like the devil. I had one dead on bulls eye at 50 yards, accomplished by a death grip at the bench, so I know they are accurate, and that is with cheapo rifled slugs from Winchester. So I researched all the things that effect recoil and came up with cheap solutions. The hole in the stock under the recoil pad that allows you to reach the nut that secures the stock is about 7/8" diameter and 8" deep. It holds 20 ounces of #8 lead shot and adds a nice amount of weight. All you need do is buy a cheapo box of shotgun cartridges with 1oz of #8 shot (Federals cost me $4.75 at Walmart), and pry open the top crimp and pour the shot down the hole. Then I bought a Small Limbsaver slip-on recoil pad at Walmart for $20. This slip-on adds 1" to Length of Pull which also reduces recoil. I painted the back side of the front sight white to make it easier for these old tired eyes. Adding the weight to the stock has unbalanced the rifle noticeably, so I am going to drill out two holes the length of the forearm and fill them with shot to help balance it back up. I hope to get out to the range in a few weeks to test it out. I know some are thinking I should have bought a USH, but I wanted the rifle sights for close-in work.

To reduce recoil more, use 5/8oz slugs rather than 3/4oz. The Remington 5/8oz Sluggers are 50 - 100 fps slower than the Winchester rifled slugs, and these two factors (velocity and projectile weight) are both recoil reducers.

I will report back after my next range trip.

Offline briannmilewis

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 05:21:33 PM »
I just got my Tracker II SB1 for $179.99. I live in NE Ohio. After checking w/ a couple of other places, this price was about average. The catch to getting one at a lower price was driving farther to get it, which means more $$ in gas.

If the price of the gun gave you sticker shock, wait till you see the price of sabots!!  :o

I would strongly suggest you try rifled slugs, not sabots to begin with. The only downside is that they will foul the barrel with lead a little, so you may have to clean the barrel every 20 rounds. But at $8.75 for a box of 15 Remington and Winchester at Walmart, they are a great value. As I said in the other post, I got a dead-on bulls eye at 50 yards using Winchester rifled slugs, from the bench, no sandbags or rest. Unless you are going to do shots over 100 yards, I would not go the sabot route, I would experiment with the Remington and Winchester rifled slugs and see how good your Tracker shoots. I came to my conclusion about using rifled slugs in rifled barrels by spending weeks researching all the web posts regarding the issue.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 05:28:21 PM »

I would strongly suggest you try rifled slugs, not sabots to begin with. The only downside is that they will foul the barrel with lead a little, so you may have to clean the barrel every 20 rounds. But at $8.75 for a box of 15 Remington and Winchester at Walmart, they are a great value. As I said in the other post, I got a dead-on bulls eye at 50 yards using Winchester rifled slugs, from the bench, no sandbags or rest. Unless you are going to do shots over 100 yards, I would not go the sabot route, I would experiment with the Remington and Winchester rifled slugs and see how good your Tracker shoots. I came to my conclusion about using rifled slugs in rifled barrels by spending weeks researching all the web posts regarding the issue.

If this is the Iron sighted model riflied slugs may not regulate in it as in my  12 gage Tracker 2. If this is the case let me know and I'll send you free of charge one of the extra high tracker 2 sights my friend made for me.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 07:17:01 PM »
Good job dad...That's a great gun.  You two enjoy yourselves at the range.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Flingarrows

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 04:24:33 PM »
will do, WNY_Whitetailer. Thx

Offline briannmilewis

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 01:33:09 PM »
Just bought my Tracker II 20g a few weeks back in Olathe, Kansas (KC Metro area) from my local gun shop it was $175+tax. Dick's quoted me $150+tax but they would have to special order it. I think the Tracker II offers great value, and with a few cheap modifications makes it a great slug gun.

So here we go, I made my mods - 20oz #8 shot in the butt bolt hole. 1-2oz of #8 in some shallow holes drilled into the forearm. Limbsaver Slip-on #10546.

Remember, first trip out it killed my shoulder. This trip - 12-15 rounds with no apparent pain or injury. One day later, it is a little tender where the butt meets the shoulder. I had my 14 year old shoot 2 rounds - his first two shots of anything - with a very hot barrel at 25 yards he hit the outer ring with the first, then on the second barely outside the bullseye.

Slugs used - Winchester Super X Rifles slugs - we could never tell if they ever hit the 25 yard target or if they were all going thru the same hole. Remington Sluggers, noticeably less bang and push, but, my first shot on cold barrel hit the outer rings, the second was a bullseye at 25 yards.

Next time I go out I am going to be disciplined and shoot three, let the barrel cool off, then three more, one brand at a time, so I will have Winchester, Remington and Federal results.

Regarding the lucky kid that got the slugger, I would not have let my 14 year old shoot it before I made the modifications for me, and then I still think it is too much for an inexperienced young shooter. But I did enjoy the fact that he was zeroing in on his second shot.

Cheers...

Offline PHATINJUN

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 04:57:59 PM »
Be very careful with adding wieght to the forearm as they have been known to break off the screw lug. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Tyeatman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 03:07:49 PM »
I went to a local pawn shop where a few months ago I bought a USED NEF Pardner 12 ga. for $80. They had another in the same shape marked at $100 and all their used .22's were over $100 ea.. Everything's going up. I keep hearing we may be in for a period of stagflation with the economy as it is.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 02:48:03 AM »
I know I am showing my ignorance, but I thought you could only get accuracy out of a rifled barrel with a Sabot.