Author Topic: Best hard lube?  (Read 757 times)

Offline Dakota Confederate

• Trade Count: (0)
Best hard lube?
« on: August 15, 2003, 01:53:10 AM »
OK, I know that this is going to be a bit vauge and all but I've only used SPG with black powder loads before so smokeless powder with hard lubes are new to me so please be patient with me. :oops:   Anyways, what lube works the best for all-around purposes.  I guess what I should say is that I am going to be reloading cowboy velocity .44-40 and .45 Colt and some fairly stout loads for my .45-70 Browning 1886.  What lubes would work best for each of these applications and is there a lube that would work well with both these styles of loads?  Thanks. :)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Best hard lube?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 11:27:25 AM »
imo hard lubes are junk. The hardest lube id ever recomend is lbt blue.
blue lives matter

Offline Johm D M

Best hard lube?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2003, 01:50:16 PM »
As I see it the function of a hard lube is so the commercial caster can sell a product that will look pretty and not bleed out in his bullets. Looking for the best one for a home caster is like wondering if it's better to be beaten with a ball bat or a hose. Lbt blue, Apache blue are both good lubes available from a single source in fairly large lots only. Ly super-moly works well at all speeds, is guarrenteed to make a mess,  and is available in single stick form. NRA Alox 50-50 would probably meet all your needs if you don't mind the smoke and smell when you shoot it. Gianni.

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
Best hard lube?
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2003, 09:45:44 PM »
In my book LBT Blue is #1.  Magma Blue will work better than most of the others and is less expensive if price is a concern.

Offline HL

• Contributor
Best hard lube?
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 03:40:35 AM »
My vote goes along with the others here. LBT by far.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Best hard lube?
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 02:45:09 PM »
If you have to use hard lube, Gray's #24 is tops. (Look at what the top cast bullet benchrest guys are using.) Second is LBT blue IMHO. But for what you're talking about the SPG will work just fine, and a darn sight better than regular commercial hard lubes. Myself, I mostly use Emmert's lube for stuff like you mention. (Crisco, beeswax, and castor oil.) Cheap and works great!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."