Author Topic: bore brush  (Read 679 times)

Offline gariders

• Trade Count: (0)
bore brush
« on: October 05, 2008, 05:54:57 AM »
I have a 2/3 scale 'War of Northern Aggression' Gun with a 2 1/4 bore which I bought from Dixie Gun Works.  I would like to get a copper / brass brush to clean it with.  Any suggestions as to where I can find one?

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: bore brush
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 07:02:08 AM »
Look for a "boiler brush".  Seems to me there was some company out in Los Angeles that had them, just can't remember their name right now.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 07:30:39 AM »
Google boiler brush you'll get lots of hits.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 09:55:20 AM »
Check MSC industrial supply they have them.

Link below, they are about mid way down the page.

Allen <><

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=4185&PMCTLG=00
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 06:52:24 PM »
Hey gariders.... I may be a little more helpful to you after all.  Years back I'd bought the half scale Napoleon from Hern Iron Works... it is also a 2 1/4" bore.  There is a good probability that the 2/3rds scale verson you bought from Dixie was also made by Hern.  Anyway, went through the looking for a bore brush thing also... most companies that had something suitable also had a rather cost prohibitive "minimum order" thing.  Turned out there was one company out in Los Angeles that once they found out what I wanted it for was willing to sell me one brush on a "trial sample" basis.  Don't remember exactly what I paid for it but it was probably under $15.00.  Had a 1/4" male pipe thread attachment if I remember correctly.

A few months back I sleeved that barrel down to a golfball bore... a permanent modification so there was no more use for any of the implements I had made for that particular barrel.  Went out behind the shed a little while ago and guess what I found !!!

A bronze brush 2 1/2" in diameter... turned out to be just the right size.  A comfortably tight fit in the bore but not so tight that it gets stuck at the breech end.  Just make sure that it is cross-pinned to the wood shaft.  Then give it a half twist and pull it back.  The shaft that it is currently mounted on would be too short for your tube.  If you are interested, you can have it for the cost of postage.   I would just cut it loose from the shaft below it's current mounting.  I am guessing postage in the $5.00 to $8.00 range but that is just a guess.... if you are interested, PM or e-mail me your mailing info and I can get a much better estimate on shipping.

Tag, you're it.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline gariders

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 09:52:46 AM »
you guys have been really helpful.  I should have done this earlier.  Thanks!

Offline rampa room artillery

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 10:20:27 AM »
 hey tell me where you get your when you order it because I need to get one. I might buy 2 or 3. the same size as you.

rick bryan
3rd va co B
N-SSA