Author Topic: Red dots and scopes with battery powered Illumintaion  (Read 565 times)

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Red dots and scopes with battery powered Illumintaion
« on: October 23, 2008, 03:19:25 AM »
In using these sights especially red dots that have no back up reticle do you leave the sight on when hunting? How long will they stay lit before the battery dies.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Red dots and scopes with battery powered Illumintaion
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 08:43:00 AM »
The battery life is usually listed on the make & model and can range from 10hr to several thousand hours depending on this.
I will leave mine shut off as I have seen absolutely no handi-cap in the (greater) action of pulling a single action from a cross draw rig and thumbing back the hammer.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 01:49:58 PM »
I took my Bushnell Holo sight off my rifle after a disturbing discovery. With the sight turned down to its lowest illumination setting, it was still to bright to use effectively in low light situations, dawn and dusk. The bright red dot and circle block the view of the game/target during the low light times. I replaced it with a Swift 2-7, not the best scope but adequate.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 04:38:53 AM »
The Mueller 2x7 Multi shot I put on my Whelen does adjust low enough to use at night hog hunting but my real concern is the BSA red dot I have on my Contender pistol in 35 Remington. It has no back up reticle so if you battery dies you have no sight system.

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 07:47:29 AM »
I took my Bushnell Holo sight off my rifle after a disturbing discovery. With the sight turned down to its lowest illumination setting, it was still to bright to use effectively in low light situations, dawn and dusk. The bright red dot and circle block the view of the game/target during the low light times. I replaced it with a Swift 2-7, not the best scope but adequate.
Cheese

My more conventional Trophy model will turn down low enough that the 3moa red dot could be used at dawn/dusk but what really puts you in the ballpark is it's ability to change the display to Green under these conditions.
I could not agree with you more on the 3moa dot inside of the 65moa dot blocking the view of the Game/Target. They claim that this is for fast target acquisition...this might be true for (timed plates or silly-wets) at close range but I dont think that it has a place for hunting as it may promote the ability to shoot at running game or having a spray & pray attitude instead of taking a cool, deliberate shot.
My Crosshair rectical also seems to be a bit (THICK) for careful shooting. In the end, I would promote the (Dot Only) in a 3moa and if you can find one with the ability to change to Green, it would just be so much more gravy.

The Mueller 2x7 Multi shot I put on my Whelen does adjust low enough to use at night hog hunting but my real concern is the BSA red dot I have on my Contender pistol in 35 Remington. It has no back up reticle so if you battery dies you have no sight system.

Or worse yet won't turn on at all which was a source of major contempt that I had for these types when they first came out. I think that we have enough history on these now that the reliability is good but your battery should always be considered. The batterys are cheap enough that a fresh one at the start of each season and even a spare in your day pack would probably be a good practice. This is not going to help you out any as the shot of a lifetime may walk away while you are fooling with the tronics but it is a chance that one takes. Your Contender may allow you to get by with some high rings so as to see the metal sights as it would be more forgiving that using them on a rifle where you may have to crane your neck un-naturally to see a dot.
I am Brand New to this "Dot" thing and chose it because of the overall portability. If I like this technology my handgun may be wearing a higher quality dot next year or perhaps a Holo (or reflective) such as the Burris fast fire. If I do not like it I may opt for conventional glass. My eye sight is good enough to use my iron sighted handguns up to 75yds for the regular season while I may need a bit extra such as the scope for the late deer season where the longer shots of 75 to 100yds of the yarded deer can be more the norm.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 08:02:48 AM »
I may put the rear sight back on. I am set to reload 35 Remington shells now and have the time to sight it in as the handgun will be used for does or hogs anyway later in the season. I can shoot the irons on the 14 inch barreled Contender pretty good still.