Author Topic: AR Cleaning and Maintenance  (Read 769 times)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
AR Cleaning and Maintenance
« on: November 23, 2008, 12:51:54 PM »
OK I've got the ARs and now am wondering what's next? Normally before I take a new rifle out to shoot it I clean it and especially the barrel and do a bit of proper lubing prior to shooting them. I dunno how to do that with the AR or just what is needed.

I was under the impression that with an AR you can open it up and clean it from the breech like I do on bolt guns but notice there is a bolt in the way of that. Where do I find directions for getting it out for cleaning or is that even the way you do it?

What other routine maintenance other than barrel cleaning do they need.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
Re: AR Cleaning and Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 02:34:13 PM »
 Bill push the rear pin connecting the lower and upper reciever out from theleft to right .. it should stop at the end of its travel and which point you can raise the back of the upper out away from the lower ... it will pivet like on a hinge , then pull the cocking handle ... this will slide the bolt and carrier out towards you .. once out of the way you can visually inspect and clean the bore how you so choose ... if you pop the front pin in the same manner as the rear you can then remove the whole upper for a little easier time working with the upper

Good luck and feel free to ask more "Q"s ,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 05:58:01 PM »
Is the bolt and carrier under any spring pressure or is there anything that might fall out that I'll need to know how to put back or is it merely a matter of lifting it out and putting it back? From what you wrote it seems like the latter?

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Totenkopf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 04:31:35 AM »
The videos I linked on your other post should cover the cleaning. The bolt is not under pressure. The spring that returns the bolt to chamber is in the butt stock. I use white lithium grease on contact points and a silicone spray on the trigger group so it doesn't hold as much powder on the trigger group as oil. The bolt needs to be disassembled, brushed and picked clean as well. If those videos don't show that just let us know.
U.S. Army Retired
1st SFOD-D
Fort Bragg, NC

John 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 04:52:15 AM »
I was under the impression that with an AR you can open it up and clean it from the breech like I do on bolt guns

That's about it...   :)

What other routine maintenance other than barrel cleaning do they need.

Once upon a time, long long ago in a land far far away, I had an RTO whose idea of cleaning/preventative maintenance on his M16A1 was to open the ejection port cover and squirt some LSA onto the bolt, work the bolt with the charging handle a few times and call it good enough.  I told him that the first time his rifle malfunctioned I would Court Marshall him.  Never did charge the boy... and this was someone whose idea of fire discipline was full mags on full automatic as fast as you can run them through!   ::)  God love you Wesley, wherever you are!   ;)

For a man of your experience, just field strip it and clean it as seems right and prudent to you.   :)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 05:25:55 AM »
Hit the link to download a Free Ops Manual.  http://gunmanuals.net/Manuals/dpms_manual.pdf