Author Topic: WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????  (Read 1542 times)

Offline lostone1413

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« on: July 16, 2003, 04:33:43 PM »
As far as the handgun you carry goes what style you Prefer ,A revolver or a semi-auto and why?? Also what barrel length??

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 05:38:19 PM »
it depends on what i am trying to do.   home defense- my pillow gun is a kimber 1911 (to get me to the shotgun).    anything i might need to shoot rapidly and reload quickly i use the 1911.   hunting- revolver all the way.  i have both double actions and singles; though i have never fired a shot at game in d.a. mode.

Offline Savage

WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 03:41:19 AM »
Depends on my mood, threat level, and dress. If I'm carrying concealed and off duty, comfort is a prime consideration. When you carry as I do, 24/7, you learn that a Glock 21 is not a concealed carry gun. No way I'm walking around in shorts wearing a vest or a fanny pack. I might as well wear it in the open! Nothing shouts "GUN" any more than a vest or fanny pack! I'm always checking people out for telltale signs of weapons. The experienced CCW carriers are all but impossible to spot. The newbies and the cowboys are easy. No one size gun or mode of carry is right for everyone. Find a weapon that is as powerful and large as you can conceal and carry for 12hrs+ in reasonable comfort and you've found your carry gun. Revolver or auto, it makes no difference, they can both be reliable. You may find that the auto conceals better because of the flat shape.  Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 04:37:13 AM »
I carry a Kimber 1911 Ultra Carry. Its small, light wieght, extremlly reliable and accurate. The extra measure of safty with the grip safty is another reason. These guns were made to be carried cocked&locked.

Only draw back is that even know its small, its still hard to conceal carry it when wearing light clothing.

I like the knock-down power of the 45acp.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline Savage

WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 12:41:47 PM »
Cabin4,
The Ultra Carry is a good choice, and as you pointed out, still difficult to conceal in light clothing. I know people who carry full size 1911s and other weapons of simular size and weight. Notice I said carry, not conceal. I believe for defensive purposes the gun should fit the clothes and the lifestyle and not the otherway around. The handgun at best is not anyone's first choice as a defensive weapon. It just might buy you enough time to get back to the car or house where the good stuff is!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
Which one
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2003, 03:48:50 AM »
Lostone1413:  As with Savage, it depends..... Usually during colder weather I will carry something with sufficient power to penetrate heavy or heavily layered clothing.  That will usually be a 45 in either full gov't  or commander length.  On occassion I will make one into a 38 Super and carry that.  During warmer times it is a different story and usually a snub-nosed 38 or even a 22lr because I don't have to worry about heavy clothing.  Again, it depends on how I feel at that time.  Mikey.

Offline broken arrow

WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2003, 11:22:48 PM »
I break it down into summer and winter carry. Sig p-229 in the winter, Taurus m85ch .38 in the summer. I hate fanny packs too. When I go out for my daily 2 mile walk I'd considered getting some "thunderwear" and putting my "snubby" in that. (referring to the Taurus). I find that these Khaki cargo shorts are great to wear in the summer. Big pockets for extra rounds a badge etc.. and you can wear a belt if you need to. There are always situations where I step it up a bit. When I go to the river I carry the P-229 in the boat's dry storage, the .38 on my hip and a topped off 30 rd. mag in my Bushmaster AR-15 in the back. You hear so many horror stories when you fish at night like I do. I've had a tense moment or two while fishing but as yet have not needed to open a can.
"Cowards die many times before their death, The valiant never taste of death but once."

Offline Savage

WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2003, 11:43:26 PM »
Good point BA. The gun I have on my person is not my only gun! Depending on where I'm going, my Bushmaster Shorty or my 870 tatical might be along for the ride. For sure a larger handgun will be close by!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 12:31:11 AM »
Savage,

I don't disagree with your point about the gun must fit the lifestyle of the person. For me, this is somewhat a drawback of the ultra carry. Its fine as long as its fall, winter, spring. In summer, I can't carry it and it still be concealed unless wearing a jacket. Of course thats rare.

I also won't give it up but will add another carry gun for the summer like a NA Gaurdian in 32acp. In the summer this would be a very good pocket size concealed carry gun.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline Savage

WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2003, 11:40:38 AM »
Cabin4,

My 24/7 gun, the one I allways have on my person regardless of the weather or mode of dress is a Kel tec P-32. At 6.6ozs and 3/4" thick, it dissapears inside the waist band with the pocket clip. This little gun has been stone reliable and can deliver 8 rounds as quick as I can pull the trigger. It is often carried as a second gun, but has seen a lot of duty as a primary when a larger gun could not be concealed. Even when I am in uniform and carrying a Glock 21 stoked with 14 rds of Talons it's in my back pocket.
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline broken arrow

WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2003, 02:49:00 AM »
So how many of you feel comfortable with a .32 caliber round? Our department recently authorized the use of .32 for backup/off-duty carry. I used to carry a .380 Walther PPKS, That was the smallest round I was willing to carry at the time. With the advent of tiny guns carrying a big round, Mini Glocks in 10mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, Pocket sized .357 Magnums from Smith and Wesson and Taurus I'm not likeley to carry anything smaller than a 9mm. auto or a .38 revolver. Even with the NAA .32 (a .32 bullet in a .380 casing) I don't like little bullets. Any combat experience with these smaller rounds? And does anyone out there advocate the use of a .22 or .25 for defense? :roll:
"Cowards die many times before their death, The valiant never taste of death but once."

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
32s
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2003, 05:03:33 AM »
broken arrow:  I have both the 22lr and 25 auto calibers in pocket rockets but use them only when something very small is required for either comfort or concealment.  Neither is an optimal caliber for defense, yet both have had deadly results.  In pocket pistols these have contact to near point blank defensive applications.  I can make some nice yeller spots on Shoot n See targets with them but I would not choose to engage at a distance unless I had to.  I do not, in any way, advocate allowing a hostile advance to contact range but if that is what necessitates or forces contact to point blank shots I feel one should have been more aware of her/his surroundings to have possibly avoided the enitre situation.  I have stated previously in these forums that I feel anyone who can skip cans with a 22lr/25acp pocket rocket is in a better position to more effectivley use those caliber sidearms to defend her/himself than someone who cannot hit with larger calibers.

Regarding the 32NAA cartridge.  The 32 acp (7.65mm) caliber 60 grain bullet at 1200'/sec may be pretty zippy but I wonder about its penetrative capabilities and, it is a lesser effective cartridge than the 30 (also 7.65mm) Luger which pushed a 93 grain bullet at 1280'/sec.  The 30 Luger however did not have a great combat reputation, either the cartridge or pistol.  This caused it to loose its bottled neck and shoulder to develop the heavier 9x19mm.  Howsoever, ya'll can load a 32 acp bullet of 60-77 grains in the 30 Luger case and get a pretty snappy flat shooting load that was accurate to 100 yds in the two 30 Lugers I've shot.  Also, there were some silhouette shooters I knew who used a .308 110 grain Sierra (?) SNHP bullet over charges of Blue Dot and got good results without high pressure indicators.  

Nutz, I would sure like to see an American firm offer a short action bolt rifle, a short bolt action carbine, like the Destroyer Carbine, but in 7.62x25/30 Mauser, 30 Luger, 32 NAA would be ok too, 357 Sig and 400 CorBon.  Now those would be fun.  

OK, I've flapped my jaws long enough.  Thanks.  Mikey.

Offline Savage

WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2003, 09:31:14 AM »
Have to agree with Mikey. A hit with a 22 is better than a miss with a bigger gun! I ALLWAYS have a Kel tec P-32 on my person, sometime that is the only gun I have on my person. If I knew I was going to be in a gunfight, I'd carry my AR. I have a number of small 9mms and 38s but I find them too large for 24/7 carry. The gun you are going to have with you when you need it, is going to be so comfortable to carry that you have to touch it every now and then to be sure it's still there. The mini 9s and the snubbies just don't carry that well for me. If you want to carry in a fanny pack or wear a vest or untucked shirt you can carry something larger. Those modes of carry don't work for me. Carry as much gun as you can, but carry a gun!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2003, 04:42:30 PM »
Whenever I can wear a jacket or vest, it is my Kimber Pro-carry .45 (commander bbl/lightwt officers length frame) which is also my bedstand gun.  My S&W lightwt .38 is my "always gun" for lighter wt clothing.  I have a Kel-tec P32 for those rare times when you cannot conceal a "real" gun.  You do have to accomidate your dress style to carry a gun.  My pants are all one size bigger for an inside the waist holster.  My shirts likewise.  That allows me to "blouse" my shirt to get complete concealment.  I was at a social function once with the kel-tec on, and my co-workers all commented on how I had "lost weight".  For complete concealment, you do have to "dress fat" or carry a very small gun.  I have carried concealed for 20 years and my children did not even realize until I had that "talk" with them when they were in their teens.  Other than that they knew that I could always "protect" them but not for sure how.
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2003, 05:16:33 PM »
Taurus Tracker 425 95% of the time because it is a VERY BIG STICK in a small package that I shoot very well, no safeties, slide locks, or releases of any kind, in other words idiot proof. The other 5% I carry a Seecamp 25 because sometimes you REALLY need to carry concealed.
Love those .41s'

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2003, 01:22:27 AM »
Savage,

Thanks for the input on the kel tek p32.  I have seen these around alot here at the local shops. I will certainly consider one of these as they are less $$ than the NA Gaurdian.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2003, 10:25:26 AM »
Here in Florida there's not much of the year wearing heavy clothes.
That presents a challenge.  Para-Ord P-12 or Kimber Ultra CDP II works great under any loose shirt if not tucked in. Sometimes also the Taurus Ti .357. For lighter wear like gym shorts and T-shirt Thunderwear with with loin pouch is great with S&W 12 oz,8 shot snubby. 22 or a surprisingly reliable Phoenix Arms .22 with spare mag in second pouch.

Offline willis5

• Contributor
WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2003, 02:26:59 PM »
I hav been lazy... don't burn me at the stake for this, but I have not gotten my concealed permit yet. I moved about 6 month ago to GA, and I havne't gotten off mytail to do it. I had on in VA, but I didn't conceal at all. I just carried.  But...
What are some of your techniques to concealed carry? When you don't wan tto be noticed,I don't want to be one of those morons who has a lump sticking out of his back.
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline jhm

WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2003, 03:15:11 PM »
Willis5 :  No punn intended but I would rather be one of the people with a lump in my back than a knife :D    JIM

Offline Savage

WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2003, 04:05:58 PM »
Willis5,
I have the option of carrying in the open. If I am going to carry concealed, that's what it will be, CONCEALED! The primary factor there is a concealable gun! There are several carry options for a realistic size carry weapon, but few for a full size gun. You won't see me wearing a vest or a waist pack. The first time a bad guy sees my gun I want him to be looking a the muzzle! Untill then, I'd just as soon he didn't know I had one.
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline williamlayton

WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2003, 11:14:38 PM »
a s&w .38 or the walther ppk in a sheath in the front pocket-any weather any time of the year.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline willis5

• Contributor
WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2003, 10:22:43 AM »
I'll carry my glock 36 or the compact Springfield XD when that comes in. Besides the fanny pack or vest, I know many of you guys can spot people who are carrying without the two. What are some of the things that you look for so i can stay away from them. Also, What are some things that you do to stay concealed. Like you guys, I want to carry for protection not attention. Thanks.
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline Savage

WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2003, 02:24:06 PM »
Willis5,
I'm a big fan of the pocket/belt clips for IWB carry and a Belly Band for deeper concealment. I have a Glock 36/Kel tec P-11/32 with clips attached for IWB carry. With a little blousing of the shirt they all but dissappear. The Glock 36 is a little large/heavy for the belly band but the Kel tecs work well. I prefer to not use a holster for IWB carry due to the added bulk.
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline pjh421

WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2003, 10:23:01 PM »
http://www.kel-tec.com/prod02.htm

Savage,

If I get one of these P-32s and swage bullets of a heavier weight but the same size as conventional .32 caliber bullets, can we up the ballistics of this little round enough to make it safe to shoot at people who are trying to kill you?  I'd be leary about shooting someone with a 9mm Luger.  The .32 ACP is just downright scary.  As stated before, the more concealable the gun, the more anemic the round.

Tungsten powder is around 1.7 times heavier than lead.  Using this as a core would allow more bullet mass in the same size jacket.  What do you think?  The .25 ACP shoots such a tiny bullet it would probably benefit from the same treatment.

Paul

Offline Savage

WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2003, 04:00:38 PM »
pjh421,
I like the larger heavier bullets too. I wouldn't have a clue how much heavier a bullet could be used in a .32.  There are .40s about the same size of the 9mms if you are comfortable with that. Guess I'm old and lazy but I like a gun that carries easy for off duty concealed carry. NAA and Kel tec both have a small .380 on the market now if that would work for you.
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline lynnbuck

WHAT DO YOU PREFER??????
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2003, 03:58:12 AM »
I love my S&W 3913.Its light and corrosion resistant and a joy to shoot.Loaded with any of the new defense ammo its a formidable stopper.I have to agree with the most of you in saying a .32 is better than going unarmed,but i will carry at least a 9mm if at all possible.